Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food fair prices

Options
  • 10-12-2010 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I just posted in the Cork general forum about the Christmas market in town and the high prices of food there - they do have to pay a high setup cost so there is an argument for their high prices.

BUT they keep the same prices when they are on the UCC campus. I know this for a fact as I bought food off the same person both on UCC and in town. **Note the exact same person in a stall, not just 2 stalls selling the same food**

So my questions are;
    1. Does anyone know if UCC are charging the traders in the UCC market for setting up?
    2. If there is a setup charge do you know how much UCC are charging them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'm pretty sure there is a charge. As far as I know the SU Deputy handles anything like that coming onto campus

No idea what the charge is though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

There's no charge and its nothing to do with the SU thankfully.

Fairly sure the charges to set up in south Mall are minimal but wouldn't swear on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I wouldn't say the prices are too high at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Why would they lower their prices if they know people are willing to pay them? A businesses main objective is to make a profit, and that's what each of these stalls is, a business. This is how the traders make their living, if you don't like it, vote with your feet.
    Eh, sorry for going off topic....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

x43r0 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there is a charge. As far as I know the SU Deputy handles anything like that coming onto campus

No idea what the charge is though
    If i'm in tomorrrow I'll ask in the SU
    There's no charge and its nothing to do with the SU thankfully.
    If i'm in tomorrrow I'll ask in the SU

Fairly sure the charges to set up in south Mall are minimal but wouldn't swear on that.
    I was told 2.5K for a food stall in the grand parade market, by someone who is distantly related to me, that ain't minimal to me :eek:
    Cian92 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say the prices are too high at all.
    4.50 for a single burger versus 4.00 for a meal and a bowl of soup in the restaurant. Even allowing for "food quality" thats a huge difference
    Aodan83 wrote: »
    Why would they lower their prices if they know people are willing to pay them? A businesses main objective is to make a profit, and that's what each of these stalls is, a business. This is how the traders make their living, if you don't like it, vote with your feet.
    Eh, sorry for going off topic....
    Don't worry your not really going off topic, I have voted already, I can't afford those costs for the minimal amount of food i receive in return so I don't purchase there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

As far as I know they are charged alright so they do have to up their prices a bit to cover costs. Theyre a nice change from the ordinary when theyre around so I usually get something there even if it is a bit pricier than the restaurants - if you think its too expensive then just go to the main for your food.

That said I queued for 40 minutes in the freezing cold to pay a fiver for burnt chicken in a roll so I'll think twice before getting food there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I'm only speaking from personal experience of running a stall there in 2008/2009 free of charge. It may have changed this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

I wouldn't be surprised if I was sold a burger in town for €4.50. On-campus catering is always going to be pitched at students, travelling stalls less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

I know when theyre there for R&G week anyway theyre charged and the money goes to charity. Considering UCC want to charge students to graduate i'd be surprised if they gave up a legitimate charge to each stall for the privilege of selling on campus for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

4.50 for a single burger versus 4.00 for a meal and a bowl of soup in the restaurant. Even allowing for "food quality" thats a huge difference

Well use the restaurant or bring your own if that is the case. I actualy thought it was good value, a freshly made roll about 4 Irish burgers in it, salad, sauces etc, all sold with a smile for just €5. I found it cheaper than a dodgy chicken roll in the canteen for €3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

When discussing charges, bear in mind that Kylemore paid several million euro for the UCC franchise, which is doubtless included in their (comparatively low) prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Keep in mind every year there is a push for cheaper food in UCC made by some students and the SU. Quality does get effected after a while if you keep pushing prices down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

When discussing charges, bear in mind that Kylemore paid several million euro for the UCC franchise, which is doubtless included in their (comparatively low) prices.
    Kylemore is going to get a much larger return on that investment considering they run many different outlets throughout the course of the year, and as a result bring in many more customers than any single stall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

UnionOfV wrote: »
    Kylemore is going to get a much larger return on that investment considering they run many different outlets throughout the course of the year, and as a result bring in many more customers than any single stall.

Yes......but they're also paying many many multiples of what the stands are paying (if anything). TBH I reckon Kylemore have lost their shirt on the UCC franchise. Most of the restaurants seem comparatively quiet most of the time, prices for many items have been cut big time and the range available has been drastically slashed in the last two years. And what happened to the super duper plasma screen electronic ordering Kampus Kitchen concept? Still looks the same as it did for the last two decades....

Advertisement