Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to move to in Tuam?

Options
  • 10-12-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm looking to move to Tuam... are there any areas that i should avoid? (i've heard to avoid gilmartin road and country meadows)

At the moment the estates im looking at are woodfield and cois Na Habhainn ...what are they like?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

3roken wrote: »
    I'm looking to move to Tuam... are there any areas that i should avoid? (i've heard to avoid gilmartin road and country meadows)

At the moment the estates im looking at are woodfield and cois Na Habhainn ...what are they like?

thanks

Typical response from people.

Some of the estates are a hell of a lot worse than the road. Palace Fields is worse than Gilmartin Rd.

But on topic.

Are you working in the town or are you in Galway or some place else? If you're in Galway, then Woodfield, Hazel Court or The Birches might be your best bet as you'd avoid a lot of the heavy traffic at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Palace Fields worse than Gilmartin Road,are you serious,I always thought it was the nicest estate in Tuam.Looks can be deceiving eh:eek:
    As for the Galway Road I think the Birches is a nicer estate than Woodfield and they are a bigger house,I don't know much about Hazel Court so can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 3roken

wow i always thought palace fields was a decent estate!

i wont be commuting to galway so thats not a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭greengreen

I think that like most towns the older estates have bigger houses and are quieter. Problem is that no one wants to move out so not many for sale. I would like Fairgreen, Ceder Court, Belair drive and parkview drive. Cois na hAbhainn is close to town but a lot of rented houses so loads of cars and noise. Woodfield nice especially at front. There are also a few nice stand alone houses around the town. What ever you do there is great value at the moment.

• Advertisement

hiscan wrote: »
    Palace Fields worse than Gilmartin Road,are you serious,I always thought it was the nicest estate in Tuam.Looks can be deceiving eh:eek:
    As for the Galway Road I think the Birches is a nicer estate than Woodfield and they are a bigger house,I don't know much about Hazel Court so can't comment.

It looks lovely but the inhabitants of some of the houses might not be so nice! I know one family who are seriously considering moving out of there because of the noise etc...

3roken wrote: »
    wow i always thought palace fields was a decent estate!

i wont be commuting to galway so thats not a consideration.

Cricket Fields is a lovely estate on the Dunmore Road. It's quiet and has a big green area in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

mars bar wrote: »
    Cricket Fields is a lovely estate on the Dunmore Road. It's quiet and has a big green area in the centre.

Yes +1 for Cricket Fields seems as it doesn't matter which side of town you have to live.
    Have you considered a one off house on the outskirts of Tuam,I'm sure there's value to be had there as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭greengreen

+1

I dunno if there is any houses for sale in Millstream Park but that's a nice mini - estate with spacious houses. I know if I let my Mam have her way, she'd be down there in a heartbeat.

Also Parkview Drive (presuming I've got the correct one here!), which greengreen suggested, is near Dunmore Rd at the end of Bishop St. and the houses are very similar to those in Millstream Park. It's very nice down there and it's close to the park too.

Is Belair the one out Ballygaddy road?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Yea it's that place just past the old small shop and you take a right at the V where the green is, then right again.

Did my reverse around the corner there for my driving test, only reason I know why :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 3roken

ok, well thanks everyone. Going to look at a few places tomorrow so will see how i get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Try Athenry Road, nice area:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tribesman29

Have lived in Palace Fields for nearly 3 years now and have never had any issues with anybody. I think in an estate with close to 300 houses there'll always be a proportion of oddballs living in rented houses but thankfully visitors to us have nearly all commented on how quiet the area we are in is. The close proximity to so many great facilities like the park and leisure centre are another plus.

We looked in a good few estates before finding our house and at the time a good few of the other estates were poorly maintained and laid out by comparison. I think we made the right choice but maybe we were just lucky where we landed.

Have lived in Palace Fields for nearly 3 years now and have never had any issues with anybody. I think in an estate with close to 300 houses there'll always be a proportion of oddballs living in rented houses but thankfully visitors to us have nearly all commented on how quiet the area we are in is. The close proximity to so many great facilities like the park and leisure centre are another plus.

We looked in a good few estates before finding our house and at the time a good few of the other estates were poorly maintained and laid out by comparison. I think we made the right choice but maybe we were just lucky where we landed.

Yeah you might have gotten lucky. Kinda like us, our end of the road is quiet and we have great neighbours and not 100 metres the other direction, and it has the worst reputation in town and one of the dirtiest streets in Ireland.

Although I have always thought that the houses in the Palace Fields were very nice looking from the outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 galwaybily

Some of the estates are a hell of a lot worse than the road. Palace Fields is worse than Gilmartin Rd.

But on topic.

Are you working in the town or are you in Galway or some place else? If you're in Galway, then Woodfield, Hazel Court or The Birches might be your best bet as you'd avoid a lot of the heavy traffic at the lights.
    \
    whats all this crap about gilmartin road ,i have a house here and never had any problems,,its the best street in tuam and i dont have 2 lock my door every one is safe here,,,,,,,dont knock it tell u try it,,,,,,,

galwaybily wrote: »
    \
    whats all this crap about gilmartin road ,i have a house here and never had any problems,,its the best street in tuam and i dont have 2 lock my door every one is safe here,,,,,,,dont knock it tell u try it,,,,,,,

Jesus, step back a bit neighbour! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Tuam85

But on topic.

Mars bar I appreciate that your from Gilmartin Road... But while plenty of decent folk reside along Gilmartin Rd, like yourself, but the majority of settle travellers living there still make it a hot spot for rows... Which regularly break out amongst them! This is why I would advise people to stay away from here.

Palace Fields isn't a bad estate it has a few bad eggs in it but majority of the estate is good. I personally think if I was in a position to buy I would buy in The Meadows on the Milltown Road

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

whats cois na habhainn like??

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Nice estate. Currently being taken in charge by the council.

• Advertisement

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Nice estate. Currently being taken in charge by the council.

Thanks. Good news the council is taken in charge would you think there is a rough element in it? houses in it are very cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Its a quiet estate, not rough in any way. In fact most of Tuam estates are doing fine, and every estate has it's moments.

Tuam itself is a great town with loads of potential. And if we get our Greenway then it'll really take off. The Greenway will run alongside Cois na hAbhainn so another + for it. It's close to town and as I said, getting taken in charge in the new year.

P.S. I'm not from the area originally, but really like the town and people.

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Its a quiet estate, not rough in any way. In fact most of Tuam estates are doing fine, and every estate has it's moments.

Tuam itself is a great town with loads of potential. And if we get our Greenway then it'll really take off. The Greenway will run alongside Cois na hAbhainn so another + for it. It's close to town and as I said, getting taken in charge in the new year.

P.S. I'm not from the area originally, but really like the town and people.

Sounds promising thanks for all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I notice this thread started nigh on 8 years ago so...

My friend bought in Gilmartin road about a year and a half ago. She's an artist. It's all they could afford in the county. I asked her what it was like and she said

'actually, it's great, very quiet, a lot of the houses are empty at the moment, i think they're going to be refurbished by the council. Our neighbour is a nun and she's terrific'.

So that's the latest from a resident in Gilmartin road. They couldn't get a mortgage, and the houses were so cheap, they got a credit union car load... Maybe if a few more creatives on a tight budget moved there.... well you know what happens to an area after the artists move in...

Yes, Sr. Agnus is battering ram of a woman. She gets **** done.

We've been on gilmartin road for almost 25 years now and never had trouble. We probably would only move if we won the lotto and could build.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock.
    Lots of people won't realise that posts are from many years ago and things have changed.

Feel free to start new threads as necessary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement