Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BILL COWHER OPEN TO A RETURN

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

He'll go to Carolina if they pay him - think his daughter's in high school there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd second the Carolina option. He has family there and it would be ideal for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

One problem with the carolina option... Jerry Richardson is one cheap as hell owner and he may not be willing to hand Cowher the money and power he would want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Once Jeff Fisher gets the boot from Tennessee

On this, Jeff fisher is IMO a top 5 head coach. If we let him go i'll feel like a newcastle fan.

On this, Jeff fisher is IMO a top 5 head coach. If we let him go i'll feel like a newcastle fan.

If Jeff Fischer goes and it's quite likely somebody will snap him up. One point though is he is limited in bringing his staff with him. But some team would definitly take Jeff Fischer, he is a quality coach.
    spiralism wrote: »
    One problem with the carolina option... Jerry Richardson is one cheap as hell owner and he may not be willing to hand Cowher the money and power he would want

A fair point which I was going to add but didn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

If Jeff Fischer goes and it's quite likely somebody will snap him up. One point though is he is limited in bringing his staff with him. But some team would definitly take Jeff Fischer, he is a quality coach.

A fair point which I was going to add but didn't

I dont think its likely at all.

Well after this year, Fischer has one year left on his contract with the Titans.
    He won't be resigning that's for sure

And it'd be a drastic move for sure to fire him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher ends up in Denver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Once Jeff Fisher gets the boot from Tennessee, i think he would be a great fit there especially with the run game they have.

The running game that the Titans use is quite different to the one that Cowher's Steelers employed. In Tennessee they dont use a power back with a smashmouth style; they have the explosive CJ. Johnson is an unbelievable player but completely different to someone like Bettis and the runners that the Steelers employed.

The running game will not be the deciding factor in where he winds up. I think the one thing Cowher learned from his time in Pitt is that you cant win without a top tier QB. With the Titans he will draft in the teens, will he believe that he will be able to find, and develop, a player in this draft that could deliver success?

That is where Carolina might be interesting to him. He would have the number 1 pick, presumably select Luck, and move forward from there from a top notch prospect. Drafting any player is a risky but for a head coach taking over a new team he knows that he lives and dies by who lines up under centre, the Panthers give Cowher the best chance of avoiding issues at the most important position on the field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

frostie500 wrote: »
    The running game that the Titans use is quite different to the one that Cowher's Steelers employed. In Tennessee they dont use a power back with a smashmouth style; they have the explosive CJ. Johnson is an unbelievable player but completely different to someone like Bettis and the runners that the Steelers employed.

The running game will not be the deciding factor in where he winds up. I think the one thing Cowher learned from his time in Pitt is that you cant win without a top tier QB. With the Titans he will draft in the teens, will he believe that he will be able to find, and develop, a player in this draft that could deliver success?

That is where Carolina might be interesting to him. He would have the number 1 pick, presumably select Luck, and move forward from there from a top notch prospect. Drafting any player is a risky but for a head coach taking over a new team he knows that he lives and dies by who lines up under centre, the Panthers give Cowher the best chance of avoiding issues at the most important position on the field

A Couple of things on this , by Cowher announcing he was available as opposed to quietly moving onwards i think he is announcing he wants the big job , the big money and the role with total control.

Cowhers daughter is nearing completion of her studies and whilst it is his off-season home maybe when the big jobs come calling.....

Certainly Carolina may feel getting Luck is enough and go with a more modest signing ...Fisher may be an option

There is a wide-spread belief that JJONES will make a serious play for him in Dallas and whilst he may feel that it is more trouble than it is worth ...the the word is that he will get the total control with it (again seeing is believing) but it would be the richest contract in coaching

Honestly i cant see him in Charlotte he has coveted the Giants job for a long time and i think he wants a bigger job than Carolina

• Advertisement
Advertisement