Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relay Latching effect question;

Options
  • 10-12-2010 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Can a relay latching effect power a 12V light if it gets a signal?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I don't think this is an open source related topic, but also I have no idea what it means so cannot move it anyplace more relevant!
    Did you put this here in error MarkD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭MarkD.

croo wrote: »
    I don't think this is an open source related topic, but also I have no idea what it means so cannot move it anyplace more relevant!

I just noticed there that it is the wrong area my bad, but cant seem to find anywhere else I could put it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

In addition the question is not very clear ..... have you a particular relay in mind, a wattage of the bulb etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Its hard to understand your question
    but some basics

relays are a powered switch
    once power is supplied to the relay coil it operates a internal electro magnet that open or close a switch.
    Once the power to the relay coil is removed it reverts back to its original state.

Sometimes this is not desirable as you might only have a momentary trigger that activates the relay and the intention is the relay will stay switched once triggered. This is called relay latching. there is various ways to do this using multi pole relays or diodes to maintain the voltage on the coil.

I'm not sure what you want to know about a bulb ?
    Is the bulb to indicator the relay has switched or using the relay to control a light source like fog lamps in a car ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

croo wrote: »

Its a electrical or electronic question

Nothing to do with software

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

visual wrote: »
    Nothing to do with software
    unless you forget to add a flyback diode. In which case the relay will try to fry the device trying to control it. And then the program will stop running.

Advertisement