Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the phone to that windows scam

Options
  • 10-12-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭

what should i do??:D

apparently c:\windows\inf*.pnf are viruses!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Hang up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

tell him someone told you deleting system32 would speed up computer, and ask his advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tell him/her you'll be right back.
    Put phone down.
    Go to lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Cancel your landline...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Give them remote access to your PC along with your Credit Card details.

They'll fix all your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

nah i went thru the whole first process of buyin something with me credit card of 24x7pchelp.com
    then they put me onto another bloke who told me to download something from ammyy.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

have a ****

lol so i figure that download was the server they connect in with. THey wanted a 7digit number off me so i made one up. then they were tryin to connect in and wanted me to click "accept" but sure i didnt have it open in the first place! Cue about 3 or 4 others tryin to help me connect. they even got me to ping google to see if i was online. was about to tell him the problem was his side and had he tried turnin it off and on again....but it seems they actually gave up and just hung up on me! :(

weird tho how they knew this house number and my fathers name.....

biko wrote: »
    Tell him/her you'll be right back.
    Put phone down.
    Go to lunch.

FYI, i tried to say that and asked for a contact number to ring them back. they werent having any of it! Got passed onto a stern "head supervisor" woman who asked me why i wanted the number and then began to tell me they from from "Windows"! I asked was that part of Microsoft and she said "NO, MS is a big company and this service centre is a sub-part of Windows" or some bollix like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't understand... did you take these people seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

He was paying with them for amusement.

I don't understand... did you take these people seriously?

ye between college and work, i've about 10 years of computers behind me! i was tryin to get info about them. I got 2 of their websites so if anyone knows a way to get them shut down, let me know. I know they're both hosted by GoDaddy so surely thats a breach of the ToS.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GSV

Take off and nuke the site from orbit?

In fairness they make their money from what used to be known in IT support as PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair) types.

They're just chancing their arm that they'll get through to a complete tool
    using the principle that a complete tool and his money are easily parted if you can get his account details and sort code. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Do this!

Last few mins are epic.

haha nice one!

Thats actually the same as what i got subject to. obviously the same script they're reading off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

1. Turn your speakers up really loudly
    2. Place phone near speakers
    3. Play this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Tell them you love them and that you want to have their babies, then start making sounds like you are having an orgasm

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

The_B_Man wrote: »
    weird tho how they knew this house number and my fathers name.....

phonebook probably

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Never had one of those, but the first thing I would ask is for the IP Address of the machine in question. They say there's a problem with it, so they must have the IP Address, right? If they ask for it, do not give it to them - they should have it already. No? So how did they know it's my machine? My phone number? .:rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I would like to hear from someone who has fallen for this.

They rang my house weeks ago,yer man was sayin your computer is running slow? You may have viruses. I said no its not slow,and no i dont have viruses. I kept asking what company he was from,whatever his answer was i couldn't understand him.After i said i had no problem with my computer he just kept saying he could make it faster if i turned it on.i was just like ah no.go away

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

tell him you cant use the pc as the electricity has been cut off. nuthin works, not even the phone

tell him you've got linux and its running crap, can he help

tell him you're a jehovahs witness, has he got a few minutes

tell him you're going to bombay in the new year on holidays, can he recommend any good restaurants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Sykk wrote: »
    Do this!

Last few mins are epic.

lol

When did you buy you computer ?

Ehh 20000000 and 100 in may may may may.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

whiteman19 wrote: »
    1. Turn your speakers up really loudly
    2. Place phone near speakers
    3. Play this :pac:

OMG, my browser crashed when I played this and it wouldn't stop, very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

The first time they called me, I told them I was running a Linux OS.:D
    The second time, I told them I'd heard it all before, and hung up!

They haven't called back - yet.....:D

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Noreen1 wrote: »
    The first time they called me, I told them I was running a Linux OS.:D
    The second time, I told them I'd heard it all before, and hung up!

They haven't called back - yet.....:D

Noreen

How do you get a call from these people, would love to bait them a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

kjl wrote: »
    How do you get a call from these people, would love to bait them a little.

I've no idea. Presumably the telephone directory?
    They're no fun to bait, anyway. The guy I spoke to the first time was truly stupid! The guy offering audible prompts in the background wasn't much better.:D

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Just got off the phone with these scumbags, third saturday in a row they've rang here!

Well, this time I lead him on for about twenty minutes, pretending I couldn't find the keys they wanted me to press. Someone else in the background took over to give it a try, yer man must have been loosing it. I then put my iphone in my docking station and cranked up a bit of Foo Fighters at him. He was like "Sorry, there is some interference!"lol!

So, bored, in a calm voice, I told him to fcuk off or I would hunt him down and do all sorts of nasty stuff to him and his family. He just rang back and gave me 5 minutes of non stop abuse! Hillarious! He's going to raise my mother from the grave and do bad stuff to her!

Anyway, I have the number he rang on, someone said they had details of their websites, is it worth taking this info to police? Or am I being incredibly green?

You should have got the websites off them. I posted the ones they used on me earlier in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

It's easy to see through these windows scamers.

. . . . .getting my coat yada yada

Advertisement