Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering an old Document

Options
  • 10-12-2010 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi,

Today when I was saving a document on my MBP I accidently overwrote another file with the same name. Is it possible to recover the old version of the file? I checked my trash and it's not there. I also don't have time machine set up so I don't think I can use that. Any advice would be appreciated,

T

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Unlikely I'm afraid. An overwritten file is not deleted, it's replaced. The only way to retrieve it would be from a backup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There are a good few undelete applications available. See here:

http://osx.iusethis.com/search?order=users&q=Undelete

None of them seem to be free though. And like aidan said, they might not be much use.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

OK thanks for the replies guys. Not the end of the world I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

You may not be a programmer but version control is handy, but for everyday use if you are making big changes copy the file and work off that every 10 mins or however often you want.

It takes 5 secs with keyboard shortcuts and could save you a lot of time in the long run.

Advertisement