Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitty Christmas Tree Carnage Thread

Options
  • 09-12-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭

Any other posters wish to sign in here and report their trees being eaten/undecorated by kitties?
    Nothing unusual so far, just the annual problem of one of them pulling decorations off the tree and another insisting on trying to eat the glitter :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

My mum's cat is more like a small dog. He rules the roost at home..meows to be let in and out when he can't be bothered pushing his own cat flap.

Anyway, a few years ago my mum had these robins on the tree and the cat kept on jumping up to get them. Was kinda funny to look at, although my mum didn't see it that way.

It took us a few days to figure out why the cat was trying to attack the tree! We try and hide them on the tree now. But you can never be too careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

kildareash wrote: »
    Anyway, a few years ago my mum had these robins on the tree and the cat kept on jumping up to get them. Was kinda funny to look at, although my mum didn't see it that way.

It took us a few days to figure out why the cat was trying to attack the tree! We try and hide them on the tree now. But you can never be too careful.

Our cats have something in common then! We used to have lovely lifelike robins on our tree years ago when she was a kitten, they didn't survive past her first christmas. Couldn't figure out why we kept finding feathers everywhere when our cat was an indoor cat and at the time our only pet! :eek: Needless to say all robins were sadly killed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It's not the same since the cat died - no fun putting up the tree without him climbing into it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I've had the luxury of being able to put my xmas tree in the upstairs room, safe and off limits to my 2 kittens.
    But I wouoldn't completely spoil their fun of course; I kept 1 string of tinsel for them and a decorative ball each which they play kitty soccer with out in the hall. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

4068fa5b-9ffc-43a5-a62c-8c2893bbc24a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

We have two kitties, roughly 7 and 8 months old. Their first Christmas and dear lord, are they loving it :rolleyes:

We have given up putting the decorations back on the lower half of the tree and have decided to leave it bare.. safer and a lot less tiring chasing baubles across the floor. Billy (male) sits and watches the lights for hours on end, slightly tranced by the whole affair, whereas Maisie (female) see's the tree as a constant source of climbing and exploration. We've pulled her out of the middle top of the tree several times now.. about 7 foot up.. It is getting slightly tiring!

We let them 'take' a few decorations off the tree thinking that would make them content but no.. the fun it seems is in the knocking them off. Once they hit the ground its time to go for another.

Don't have any intention whatsover of leaving any gifts wrapped under the tree with them around this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'm not a cat person owner but don't all pets have a go at the poor christmas tree :D

<ETA> Thought I better rephrase that :pac:

picture.php?albumid=1088&pictureid=5534

This year my Westie pup has already had a go at my sisters tree, the fun will really start tomorrow when our own tree is put up! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

I took the tree out tonight, I'll decorate it tomorrow, but I'm getting a bit worried as my beloved Annie is trying to eat the fake tree, and has discovered that if she pulls on the branches and let go the spring back up!:eek: My decorations are going to go flying everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

clicli wrote: »
    , but I'm getting a bit worried as my beloved Annie is trying to eat the fake tree,
    :eek: I read that as my beloved auntie. lol

I just had a nice game of bat the bauble up and down the stairs with one of the cats, while the other sat at the top glaring, then running down, tumbling his sister and robbing the bauble. :rolleyes: At one stage she managed to get the bauble UNDER the carpet on the stairs and then stuck her head in after it (it's a central runner). I came down the stairs to a cat stuck under the carpet wiggling like mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I'm not a cat person owner but don't all pets have a go at the poor christmas tree :D

<ETA> Thought I better rephrase that :pac:

[IMG]http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1088&pictureid=5534[/ This year my Westie pup has already had a go at my sisters tree, the fun will really start tomorrow when our own tree is put up! :p[/img]

My two puppies have shown no interest in the tree so far. Haven't even acknowledged that it's in the room with us. Are they just lolling me into a false sense of security?
    I'm kinda worried that there not normal pups...they haven't chewed their beds, the remote control, my good shoes or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

I'm just setting out on a mission to get our (real) tree now...its our doggies' first Christmas with us so I'm curious as to how they're going to react to a tree in their living room :D

And don't get me started on the lights! Our collie is fascinated by lights so I can only imagine his reaction - I've visions of him sitting in front of the tree completely mesmerised

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Well, are all the trees still surviving?
    I've come across a couple of pools of liquid containing tinsel in the last couple of days.
    Foot-sized pools of course. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Our tree is suffering yet again this year
    The house looks like it has been sprinkled with glitter from bits of tinsel being dragged all over the place
    I keep tripping over baubles that moggy has removed played with and got bored with :rolleyes:
    The angel has fallen off its perch about 5 times at this stage :P
    And the tree is not looking as good as it did for the first 5 minutes before the cat discovered it in the hall
    :D
    Ah well its Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ive only had Beanie since March, so my first chrimbo in my own gaff with a kittie. Hilarious! Its up 2 weeks now and hes finally copped theres no birds in it,he cant climb it and it tastes horrible :D Oh..and the entire bottom layer is devoid of all baubles and decorations now. Theyre now under the couch,the bed...and the balcony :confused: Its still a peeing target though..typical male :p

Not cat related (dog), but I'm thinking of putting up the tree this evening. Should be interesting experience, had it in a different room last year but will be fully exposed to dog now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

We've been really lucky with our dogs, I was expecting chaos as they love to play with anything and everything they can reach, but so far the only problem is confusion as it's blocking one of the doors. The springer keeps trying to climb under so he can get through the door. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

My mother is cracking up!

Her 2 big fabulous cats keep drinking the water from the little reservoir in the Christmas tree stand.

She must keep topping it up, they arent bothered drinking out of their frequently replenished water bowl, which they happily drank from all year!

But I suppose she is lucky, my own cat drinks from the toilet! :eek: I always close the door so she cant get in and tell others to do the same! Id be in the sitting room and hear the slurp slurp slurp from the bathroom......

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

I have an artificial tree and my cat who is 5 years plus old still thinks hes a kitten! :o he thinks the bottom branches are a scratching post and also the wrapped presents also, have had to rewrap items already once! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

piskins72 wrote: »
    I have an artificial tree and my cat who is 5 years plus old still thinks hes a kitten! :o he thinks the bottom branches are a scratching post and also the wrapped presents also, have had to rewrap items already once! :rolleyes:

AH yes the present hunt :D
    I've wrapped and hidden our pressies from the cat as he DESTROYED several beautifully wrapped presents this time last year
    He loves shredding paper at the best of times and nice shiny paper with bows and ribbons on were just impossible to resist
    This year I've been smarter and there is nothing under the tree all presents are piled up on the hall table out of his sight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The trees are up and so far both cat and dog have ignored them! :eek: Im actually kind of put out by it! :D
    Other years though the cat has loved the tree in the sitting room because when she sits behind it nobody can reach in to annoy her and there's a radiator in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My cats are also drinking from the tree stand:o, won't touch the 3 bowls of water around the house.
    I learned 2 christmases ago when Ollie was about 6 months not to leave wrapped prezzies under the tree (same reason the loo roll is on top of the bathroom cupboard now), he likes to shred paper, he very neatly unwrapped all the prezzies one afternoon while I was out. (no damage to prezzies)
    This year the feathered and sparkly stuff is too high up for pets to reach and tree is largely untouched....
    But I only put it up Friday:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Don't have ours up yet, hoping the big fella will ignore it once its decorated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

One of our cats has discovered a couple of low-hanging decorations in the last few days, but other than that they're not paying much attention (thankfully)

I gave them something to think about earlier - felt sorry for the birds in this weather so put a plate of bread in the back garden.Cats were obviously indoors.The reaction was very funny to watch, as they realised there were crowds of birds landing in their garden and they couldn't get out. Made funnier by the fact that one of them watched intently for 5 minutes, then turned over to go to sleep, while the other one ran from window to door for about an hour trying to get at the birds...:rolleyes:

Gotta love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I guess, I will have to buy two trees next year: one of them for the cat to mess with :D

Last night, at around 2:45...loud noise. I checked...well...I knew what I was. The cat, taking off bobbles, carrying them up the stairs, throwing them down again and growling like a dog.

Finally I went downstairs to check on the tree and who was sitting inside it? You guessed it, the cat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

One of my cats keeps trying to chew on the branches, and climb into it, but he's huge so he's after breaking one of the bottom branches!

A friend of mine knew her cats were at the tree because when she went to clean out their litter tray, she scooped out a row of little poos, all stuck together on a long piece of tinsel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I remember my friend telling me about her dogs reaction to the tree a few years back. Her mum had put him outside so she could decorate it in piece. She let him back in and he treated it like he treated most trees; he pissed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Every time I put up the Christmas tree I find clumps of fur from one of our cats who used to climb in to the tree.
    Sadly he died a few year ago, but I'm still finding his fur tangled in the branches!
    His lasting legacy :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement