Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook being a little bitch!

Options
  • 09-12-2010 8:32pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Okay, so I have a Macbook, about 10 months old, running Snow Leopard 10.6.5. Everything was great with it, but about 6 weeks ago, a line of pixels on the screen stopped working. It was just a tiny issue. Early November, I took it to Compu-B here in Cork to get it fixed. As far as I can tell, they just replaced the screen. The fit is ever so slightly askew, and the base of the computer is slightly loose at the corners (only a mm or so, but I couldn't seem to tighten the screws).

I got it back, and all seemed fine. A week later, I had streamed a video on Megavideo, but it was late and I decided to leave it open and come back to it the next day. I closed the lid, and noticed the laptop was making a quiet high-pitched noise. I opened it back up, intending to shut Safari and see if that stopped it, but Safari froze, and quickly the rest of the computer followed suit. Nothing was working, so I pressed the "off" button and left it overnight.

The next morning, I went to start it and it wouldn't load. It was stuck at the grey screen, going no-where. Eventually, I reinstalled the OS and loaded a recent back-up. Since then, I've noticed my computer in general has been running slower than it used to. In the past two weeks, I have:
    • Repaired disk permissions
    • Run a virus/malware check
    • Reset the PRAM
    • Done every type of clean-up I could find on Google
    • Checked I have the most up-to-date Flash
    • And changed browser to Chrome because Safari has repeatedly been freezing for 5 - 10 seconds

But things are still running more slowly than they should be! iTunes just took an AGE to load, and froze for ages while it was trying to load Genius. I'm getting freezes on Chrome just like on Safari.

As the computer is less than a year old, surely this can't be right? The trouble has all started since it came back from Compu-B, but if they only replaced the screen, then they could hardly have done any damage, could they? I'm just concerned about the base being slightly loose - that that could have caused the hard drive to get damaged or something.

Anyway, I'm asking for advice. Is this normal behaviour for a Macbook that young, is there something I've been missing, or does it sound like there's a deeper problem that needs seeing to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SamSamSammy

interesting as i am having the same slowness over the last few days and never had it before, anyone else with the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

It's not normal and initially suggests the HD is failing. The most likely problem, and is covered under warranty. It could also be bad ram or a more complex logic board issue, but unlikely to be a logic board issue.

Insert the Install disc for your mac (install disk 1) and hold the D key just after you press the power button. This will boot into the apple hardware test. I have never seen the standard test bring up an error, so go straight for the extended test. It can take over an hour. Post back here with any errors. If there are errors, or even just one which is more normal (well, none is normal) take not of it, and bring the machine back to compu-b with the error code and tell them to get the whole thing back to normal.

The disc you need says on it that it contains the hardware test, so just check you put in the right disc first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No errors found!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

If its less than a year old then get onto Apple themselves...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Back up your HD now and get your MacBook into Apple to have a look while you're within your warranty.

Is your HD making a clicking noise by any chance? I'm on my fourth HD due to clicking HDs. AppleCare has been worth every cent for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

yep just send it into apple directly and they will either repair it or replace it, if they repair it and you still have problems send it back and ask for a replacement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Disk Utility isn't always reliable. Hard drive could still failing. Whatever is wrong, it sounds like a hardware problem so as said above get on to Apple and let them deal with it.

Let us know how you get on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to get on to Apple and get them to sort it out. There's no clicking noise, but something is definitely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭deflemonkid

I had a similar problem with my MBP. Rang apple and they said it was a bad sector on the HDD. Had to format the drive before reinstalling OSX.
    Bit of a pain but its been fine since

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

title of thread demands respect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement