Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainscald

Options
  • 09-12-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just noticed my horse has a bit of rainscald when I took off his rug. Any idea how to threat it?

Thank you!
    p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Keep in, keep dry, keep clean.

There are creams available. Ask your vet for best cream as it depends on the severity of the rainscald.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

sup_dude wrote: »
    Keep in, keep dry, keep clean.

There are creams available. Ask your vet for best cream as it depends on the severity of the rainscald.

this really ^^

also, if the tufts come away and are dryish on the ends that's a good sign - if they're sorta wet or pussy then you need a vet opinion as the lesions could be more prone to infection

I was told that shampooing with Hibiscrub would help prevent infection, but you'd need to wait for warmer weather more predisposed to washing a horse first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Wash off with hibiscrub (you can wash with warm water and walk off untill completely dry), keep in, keep the rug off and I wouldn't put any cremes on it, its a bacterial infection so the best way is to keep it free of any moisture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 disneymum

Wash off with hibiscrub (you can wash with warm water and walk off untill completely dry), keep in, keep the rug off and I wouldn't put any cremes on it, its a bacterial infection so the best way is to keep it free of any moisture.

Good advice, bacteria thrive in moist conditions.

If it is very puss filled then use a poultice if possible for 24 hrs to draw out any/all bacteria after you wash it the first time. Then air dry. If the rainscald is on an area where the rug ends (withers etc) then padding while you are treating the affected area is the best idea if you have to use the same rug again.

Good Luck pmason!

Advertisement