Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in Ireland

Options
  • 09-12-2010 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am sorry if I am writing int the wrong forum.

I am wondering if the Irish government is planning to lighten the criteria on study visa for Non-EU citizens? This is what I heard from my friend whose friend heard it from someone in somewhere. Since, the legislation is being changed and many student would be heading home as they will have their 7 years of study completed and there will be labour market need for cheap labour force and need people to rent all these apartment blocks.

Do you think this is the case now in Ireland?

Thank a lot for your view and comments in advance.
    Regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bloody_Mary

MGLman wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am sorry if I am writing int the wrong forum.

I am wondering if the Irish government is planning to lighten the criteria on study visa for Non-EU citizens? This is what I heard from my friend whose friend heard it from someone in somewhere. Since, the legislation is being changed and many student would be heading home as they will have their 7 years of study completed and there will be labour market need for cheap labour force and need people to rent all these apartment blocks.

Do you think this is the case now in Ireland?

Thank a lot for your view and comments in advance.
    Regards.

Hi,

Well, I think that you will be able to study here as a non-EU if you pay for expensive University fees only. Just think about what you want to do in Ireland.

My honest advice is that you do not study here, Uni degrees here have low reputation internationally and you will not be able to get a job with them in Europe. It is not worth paying for them, I have done so and have no job no and no money.

Good thing to do is to come here on a "study visa" and work as much as you can and save money.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Bloody_Mary your post is neither relevant or particularly helpful.

There are limits on how many hours those on student visas can work whilst here and to suggest/imply/advise anything in contravention of this has no place in this forum.

pow wow wrote: »
    Bloody_Mary your post is neither relevant or particularly helpful.

There are limits on how many hours those on student visas can work whilst here and to suggest/imply/advise anything in contravention of this has no place in this forum.

I am afraid to that my post is very relevant, and helpful to those who are planning to study in Ireland and the UK. Unfortunately I was too late to figure it out.

Again, I am very sorry for writing all this, but this is the truth and I hope that there is a space in this from for discussing the real situation.

If you are on student visa you can, in theory ,work 20 hours only, but many "students" from Pakistan, India and Bangladesh take up courses which don't cost more than 1.000 per year and never turn up (except for exams).
    They spend most of their time working and saving money, usually working two to three part time jobs.

Only few naive ones (myself inclusive) paid non-EU fees at Irish University hoping and believing that there is a value behind the degree just to find out the opposite. No one, but simply no one will apply for a work permit for a non-EU humanities and/or business graduate, not in Ireland, not in Europe.

If I go home with this degree I can get jobs which pay around 4.000-5.000 annually, which does not cover basic expenses of living and besides, I could have had this with a degree from my home country, so no point really wasting the money on "high quality education" in Ireland and the UK.

I truly regret paying over 40.000EURO in fees for a worthless degree and I wish I had done the same as many Pakistani, Indian and Bangladesh students and just worked and saved my money, instead of wasting four years of my life ending up unemployed and morbidly depressed.
    My advice to international students in Ireland wanting to study business, social sciences and law - rethink the value of your money, do not get fooled by the glossy images of “Western Education”, because if you are foreign non-EU graduate you will eventually go back home. If you have a scholarship, that it is a different story.
    Just bear in mind that there is no job for non-EU graduates across the EU except in supermarkets or kitchens, even with an honours University degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Your post has no relevance to the original poster's question, which is what I stated in my first post directed at you.

The truth or experience behind your posting is not at issue, it is simply not relevant to the question asked. Beyond that you are advising activities in contravention of current visa regulations and as I said in my first post, this forum is no place for that.

As I am leaving the thread open in the hope that someone can offer some constructive advice on these 'rumours' about changes to visa regulations I would ask that you refrain from posting unless you have any information pursuant to the original question.

pow wow wrote: »
    Your post has no relevance to the original poster's question, which is what I stated in my first post directed at you.

The truth or experience behind your posting is not at issue, it is simply not relevant to the question asked. Beyond that you are advising activities in contravention of current visa regulations and as I said in my first post, this forum is no place for that.

As I am leaving the thread open in the hope that someone can offer some constructive advice on these 'rumours' about changes to visa regulations I would ask that you refrain from posting unless you have any information pursuant to the original question.

OK, I get your point.

So with regards to the original question: my view is that the future rules on non-EU student immigrants will become tighter after the upcoming legislation and this area will be better controlled and monitored.

The bottom point is that many of those non-EU "students" will not go home even if their visa expires. Put yourself in a situation where for example you are from Bangladesh and you are earning about 300-350Euro a week in Ireland. In Bangladesh you will earn less than 100EURO per month. Would you go home?

So, I doubt that they will go home. They are probably going to stay and in the worst case scenario work for say 40EURO a day on the gray market, thus knocking down the labour costs in Ireland.
    These people simply do not go home once they are in the country.

I believe that Irish government is fully aware of this and they will probably allow some easing on the work permit procedures for those immigrants, since they do the jobs that Irish people don't want to do anyway.

They are already proposing some simplifications in the process of applying for work permit by students who are already in the country, such as that they don’t have to leave the country to apply for the work permit, the graduate scheme is extended to all institutions (so not only University graduates, but others who have completed the course can all stay in the country for six months to find the employment). My view is that there will be some other flexible provisions for this group of students.

Resultantly, the government will enhance its monitoring for the new student arrivals; something of this sort is currently being drafted in the UK.

I hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement