Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secure.log

Options
  • 09-12-2010 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Would you care to explain what is the purpose of secure.log, who has permission to access it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

Thanks for the effort john__long, I've asked at apple discussions but as of yet even they too have been unable to answer the question.
    It seems like one of those situations where "no one can tell you, you just have to find out for your self".

It's mainly to do with system security. Login attempts via SSH. Commands run as sudo.

Stuff like that. No major to worry about it unless you're running a server IMO.

john__long wrote: »
    It's mainly to do with system security. Login attempts via SSH. Commands run as sudo.

Stuff like that. No major to worry about it unless you're running a server IMO.

You see the thing is that normally the secure.log is grayed out and I am unable to access it but just recently I verified disk permissions which discovered an error, when seeing that I decided to check Console and saw that secure.log was in black type and accessible, I opened it and had a look for a minute while I clicked "repair disc permissions" soon as RDP had completed the secure.log page vanished and the option became grayed out in the Console menu and I have no access.
    You may see a cause for concern?

Are you logged in as a user with admin rights?

I don't really know for sure. I don't think it's an issue tho. I can read my secure.log tho.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm the only admin user. Apple just got back to me saying it was an issue with Tiger not having sufficiently correct permissions. Well apparently it does when in error;)
    Cheers.

Hmm...OK

If you really want you can always view it with a:

sudo (nano)(vim) /var/log/secure.log

john__long wrote: »
    Hmm...OK

If you really want you can always view it with a:

sudo (nano)(vim) /var/log/secure.log

Hiya john__long, well I checked the console and finder but I could'nt find sudo ect. How to access?

That command is to be given using the Terminal.

Given your unfamiliarity with the Terminal, I'd advise staying away! Improper usage of the sudo command can lead to problems.

Yes I agree, had a look at terminal and it appears that one must use strings and code ect.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement