Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WANTED-52/54cm roadbike for 12year old boy!

Options
  • 08-12-2010 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    I am looking for a bike for my son....he's 12 and height wise 5' 2....I've been told he's fit for a 52cm or he could stretch into a 54cm!
    Any ideas/offers...
    Budget-I'd really only like to spend €400 tops...
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

I am 5'7 and i am a 52cm in my road bike. That size is way off for a 12 year old at 5'2.... Have you seen the Islabikes? Maybe something like this or this would suit. I know they are well recommended, a member here Lumen has one or two I think!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I am 5'5" and use a 50cm standard road bike frame size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

my 12 yo is 5' 1" and I tried him with various small frames and women's sizes (without telling him he was on a woman's bike!). There was no problem getting a frame to fit him, I found the issues were with the other components, especially the drops, braking and gear changing. Crank length was also another difficult but not insurmountable problem.

In the end I went with an islabikes (Luath - small). Got it dleivered last month and it arrived within 3 days of ordering - the lead in might be longer now with Christmas a bit closer.

CRC also have a couple of child-specific bikes, although in all cases they're above your budget.

Quay cycles in Drogheda had a Dawes in that was child specific - they were my second choice after islabikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Burntwood

Thanks for that info.....I'm contacting Isla bikes and trying to figure out if he'd be fit for a Luath 700 small or large...

Advertisement