Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing: Programming or Networking?

Options
  • 08-12-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

How are you meant to decide if ye dont do any networking in first year?

It seems theres an idea on computing courses that ye do Networking if ye cant program

I'm assumin networkin is easier, and I'd say its more hands on, but I really have nothin to base an opinion on

course wise, I'd go with IT Management cos it has work experience, and is doable part time

any advice welcome, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I did IT Management in IT Carlow, but an badass at programming and networking also.

I advise you to focus on your intrest. there is a nice overlap, in programming, you will program stuff that uses networks. and in Networking you will build advanced network infrastructure that requires programming in the form of scripting and maybe C for advanced packet based stuff.

I advise you to get some programming books, tutorials, and play with some network stuff, routers, VMware machines etc. and see what you prefer doing. IT management can be a little business focused, but you'll learn a bit of both also.

IT as a career path is one you need to be intrested in to succeed in, you have to eat/sleep/breathe/love computer stuff to work in the field and not go completly insane. Don't restrict yourself to studying only what is on your course, join/start a computer society and learn what the others in courses you are not doing are studying, projects being worked on etc. it will inject life into your fields and help keep it all intresting and fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

I'm in second year computing currently. Networking lectures and labs are done by both Computing and I.T. management!

Second year covers Cisco CCNA 1 + 2. Then depending on whether you're in Computing or I.T. management you will cover CCNA 3 + 4 at different times. Though if you're intending to do all 4 years of your course then you will cover all of Networking CCNA regardless of whether you're Computing or I.T. management.

The difference in classes between Computing & I.T. management is that, naturally Computing continue programming in second and all subsequent years where as I.T. management replaces the programming class with a Operating Systems class. There is also one different module in second year 'Management Science' covered in I.T. management and 'Computer Services Management' covered in computing.

In regards to the work placement. It is in a lot of places unpaid and from what I've heard from other people is in fact full time, you would still also have a project to complete on your own time during this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Cheers!

Do ye know if you can go part time in ITM from 2nd year on? The course is pretty unique for a part time course as its still 4 years to honours degree, as they only do 5 modules per semester, and work placement over the summer in your own time

That's my main issue. I wanna go part time next year if I can, but dont wanna give up programming

But also, my career plan isnt computing long term. I wanna work in media, but media jobs are rare at the best of times, and the courses aint the best

So my plan is to do computing, which has lots of things I can apply to media anyways like web development, design and business etc, then do a masters in media, and hopefully work in IT until I get a good media job. Its also good fallback to have, which ye wouldnt have with a media degree

But it's not completely random, I love computers, and if I do end up workin in IT long term, I wouldnt be disappointed

I just think programming will get mega hard in 3rd and 4th year, and theres also like 3/4 extra maths modules vs ITM, and I suck at maths. Is it worth goin for programming if I dont plan on doin it long term [for now anyways] ?

stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

It depends whether or not the college decides to run the course part-time as well as full-time. The IT Management degree (from first year to fourth year and then masters level) has been offered part-time for the last number of years but the Computing degree has only been offered full-time with a part-time masters option. I suggest you check with the head of your department.

It is difficult to chose but if taking the course part-time from second year onwards is a priority then IT Management might be the way to go. I found Computing covers the main points of the IT Management degree (including more advanced networking courses) but also provides students with a programming background. I went on to do the masters and those who did IT Management really struggled with anything programming related whereas I was easily able to keep up with them in the business subjects or any reports that had to be produced.

Computing is the more complete degree but there is a lot of effort required especially when it comes to second, third and fourth year development projects which often last two semesters. I know some who have struggled with the Computing degree and moved to IT Management with relative ease. I wouldn't be too put off by what your expecting. You have a good grounding in Java by the end of second year and then it's a case of adapting the concepts you've learned in Java with a small number of new concepts in C++ and C#. The maths subjects look difficult to begin with but the lecturers went through each example step by step which made maths very easy. I would consider myself to be poor at maths but I eased through the maths subjects never getting lower than a B. I suppose it depends where your strengths lie and which better suits your schedule. I'm glad I took the more technical degree because now I have a programming background which suits the current job market.

Thanks for that!

Thats the thing, if im choosing subject matter, I'd probably go with Programming as it covers almost everything

But it's the format of the part time course thats better for me. Only ITM part time, theres never any pt comp science

IMO programming is wayy harder, but more beneficial, so I dno if its worth the effort if Im not plannin to do it long term

anyways, I hafta make sure I actually CAN go part time first

cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Do you want to get into fixing computers (support), programming, or networking? Or just be a general IT manager in charge of a loada blokes answering phones?

Thats what Im sayin, I cant make an opinion on all the aspects, cos I'v only really done programmin

The main thing I'd want long term is web development, but thats even on both courses afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

if u want, i can just send u some notes on web design. Theres no point goin to college for the web classes you'll get in tallaght. Basically they just teach you CSS, then get you to copy and paste the rest and run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

The_B_Man wrote: »
    if u want, i can just send u some notes on web design. Theres no point goin to college for the web classes you'll get in tallaght. Basically they just teach you CSS, then get you to copy and paste the rest and run it.
    Not really. In third year Computing we did server side scripting using JSP. In fourth year we did ASP.NET and I know several students did projects using these technologies as well as PHP.

Yeah, I'm talkin overall web Development as opposed to just pages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 CMARTY10

Its really the college leting you choose your path and seen who wants to work in each sector,so the decision is always left to the student.i always stuck with what i know!

Im hoping to study computing next year as i tried engeneering and thought it was too simple and left,I HOPE THIS WORKS OUT WITH THE WAY THE FEES HAVE GONE!.
    i started to self teach java,very interested,and hope to get into the deep end of the maths,binary etc,looks interestin.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

i was in the first class in IT Tallaght to do the IT Management course and i liked it. i didn't want to do the programming(C++) etc so i decided to do the management. it is a lot easier (hours wise) than the programming course as they stay up all hours doing their projects etc you cover a lot of the basics in the IT Management course which gives you a good idea of whats goin on in IT but it certainly doesn't give you any indepth skills in IT... that really depends on how much you really want to learn in IT.

The work experience was the best thing about the course and it still stands to me this day with the things i learned on it in my new job.

i'd recommend the Management course of you want to avoid heavy programming as we done web development etc in the IT Management course too

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    i was in the first class in IT Tallaght to do the IT Management course and i liked it. i didn't want to do the programming(C++) etc so i decided to do the management. it is a lot easier (hours wise) than the programming course as they stay up all hours doing their projects etc you cover a lot of the basics in the IT Management course which gives you a good idea of whats goin on in IT but it certainly doesn't give you any indepth skills in IT... that really depends on how much you really want to learn in IT.

The work experience was the best thing about the course and it still stands to me this day with the things i learned on it in my new job.

i'd recommend the Management course of you want to avoid heavy programming as we done web development etc in the IT Management course too

Do you work in IT now? Have you ever lost out on a job you'd want from not havin enough programming experience?

yeah i work in IT now on a helpdesk (all that was out there for someone out of college)

never went looking for a job got to do with programming to be honest.

what do you think you are going to do about the course then?

Well, my plan is a bit random

I wanna work in media, but media degrees have no fallback and no business study
    [most media work is self employed / freelance]

So I wanna do computing, and work at that for a few years while I do media part time

Then hopefully have a steady computing job to fund my media stuff til that takes off, and if it doesnt I've fallback in computing.

So I think for now I'm more leanin towards IT. I like programmin, but I think its too much to take on when I dont plan to be doin it long term

If it ever happens I really wanna program Ill just go back and do it!

Wats the helpdesk job like?

cheers 4 the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

I completed the "programming" degree and while yes its very intensive with a large number of hours work outside lectures you don't have to be a programming genius to progress (being competent will get you most of the way to passing).

Also calling it a programming degree doesn't to it justice as you study a large amount of the I.T management syllabus (minus the business/management subjects) and can move into any number of areas from helpdesk to analyst, database admin to developer. (I'm working as an analyst/programmer at the moment)

to me anyway programming is for people that really wanna do it career wise...why go to the bother of learning C++ if you aren't interested in a career in IT.

i love the helpdesk to be honest, where i work we deal with about 10 different companies and you are always getting different jobs to do, best learning ground for anybody interested in starting a career in IT i think!!

Advertisement