Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music at NUI Maynooth??

Options
  • 08-12-2010 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm a 5th Year student in Dublin and I am looking at all the colleges with Music course in them. I want to study music when I am older. I would like to be a Concert Pianist when I am older and I want to know what Maynooth has to offer in the music course.
    Anything you know about Music at NUI Maynooth please let me know! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

The performnce aspect is improving under the new Prof.

However, if you want to be a concert pianist I'd strongly advise you look at DCU (which runs through the academy), the academy itself, or DIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭scottg4life

However, if you want to be a concert pianist I'd strongly advise you look at DCU (which runs through the academy), the academy itself, or DIT.

Thanks! I might just do that because they are closer to me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

Hate to be *that* guy. But DCU don't offer music directly, they accredit RIAM's degrees...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

I keep reading this as "Magic at NUI Maynooth" and getting excited:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Duddy wrote: »
    I keep reading this as "Magic at NUI Maynooth" and getting excited:(

Whatcho talkin bout??? Maynooth is always magical *goo-goo eyes* :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

I really wish I choose music. It would be a fantastic excuse to sit around and play guitar all day. Instead I've got to read blasted poetry that I really can't care about.

Apart from practicing there's also piano, theory and history. ;)

Jonah42 wrote: »
    I really wish I choose music. It would be a fantastic excuse to sit around and play guitar all day. Instead I've got to read blasted poetry that I really can't care about.

You really have no idea :eek: Practical music is only an hour a week, if you can play something above a grade 6 standard then you could perform that, otherwise it's group piano for you, like me! :D

Then the theory...I don't mind music foundation & fabric so much, though it is kinda hard, but the music history...it's really interesting like, but the assignments are so difficult. I find them to be anyway, it's the only course I have that has essays and all that.

And next semester is 20th century music history...it's gonna be bad...very bad...If it's anything along the lines of Raymond Deane for the Leaving, I'm scared :(

So yeah not really a doss :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

amyputz wrote: »
    And next semester is 20th century music history...it's gonna be bad...very bad...If it's anything along the lines of Raymond Deane for the Leaving, I'm scared :(

It's not...

I just had a look at the provisional module guide, should have looked before I posted :rolleyes:

That work there is alright leopoldbloom, it seems Adams isn't gonna be looked at this semester, but neither is Deane so it's all good =D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

amyputz wrote: »
    Not all of it is really hard listening, but it does get time to get in to.
    It's worth it in the end though!
    Especially when you start finding really cool rare composers that you never heard of before!

Like Ben McHugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Norrdeth wrote: »
    Not all of it is really hard listening, but it does get time to get in to.
    It's worth it in the end though!
    Especially when you start finding really cool rare composers that you never heard of before!

You posted that at l33t o'clock!

Noooo idea what that means mon!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

Norrdeth wrote: »
    Noooo idea what that means mon!

You're 1337 and you don't even know it! :pac:

A Changer wrote: »

Or, "j00r l33t 4nd j00 d0n7 3v3n |<n0w 1t" ;)

In case anyone hasn't noticed, i 4m t3h l33t haxx0r.

This is how it's done =D

Lame.....

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Or, "j00r l33t 4nd j00 d0n7 3v3n |<n0w 1t" ;)

In case anyone hasn't noticed, i 4m t3h l33t haxx0r.

The worst bit is, I used to think it was cool to t4l|< l1k3 th47.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭scottg4life

• Advertisement
Advertisement