Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting Question

Options
  • 08-12-2010 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi, im currently making my first short film, but i have a lighting question.

The film requires two low light scenes, 1 when the main character is waking up in the morning and another when he is going to bed at night.

How would I go about lighting the room so that the room still seems dark and night-time like, but still retaining enough light to show some detail? if you get me? (I do have access to some lights, i think there called dmx lights or something, well thats what they're controlled by, dont know the name of them but they can like produce any light color)

Any help appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Muffin top

What kind of atmosphere are you trying to create? and how good are your camera skills?

Candle light can be used to create a dark and atmospheric scene; or warm tones and then use a hand held camera for detail; or detail alone you can use hardlight; which direct light on what you are shooting; this will create shadows; really depends on the context and personal taste.

Is this your first short altogether or the first for the portfolio?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Im trying to create a dark and gloomy atmosphere i suppose, to compliment the main characters gloomy life. But i am just having trouble getting the darkness that reflects nighttime, with still not the being too dark that it does not show any detail.

Its my first short for my portfolio, probably wont be one the ones i submit to it, but its all practice really!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Muffin top

Well it's the best way to learn anyway!, through practice.
    If you don't like the candles you can use strong lighting; one strong light to really create crisp shadow; shadow giving the impression of night.

You can practice the shadow thing on objects to figure how high or low you want to position the lighting, infront or behind. I would think a single light source, behind and then use your depth of field for detail. A couple of props in the scene will add more shadow again, creating the whole night feel.

Are you using a natural source of light for the day scene? (filtering through a window?)

It might be worth posting your query in the photography forum also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

roguey wrote: »
    Im trying to create a dark and gloomy atmosphere i suppose, to compliment the main characters gloomy life. But i am just having trouble getting the darkness that reflects nighttime, with still not the being too dark that it does not show any detail.

Not necessarily cutting down light alltogether would be the best solution.

You could consider getting a high contrast ratio from your key light and your fills and tie them to practicals in the world.

So for examply in your second scene.

Light for a low fill but have a strong key light coming from the direction of the room's window that is modelled on the actors face (so it lights him only partially. Then bring the apature up so the fill light drops dramaticly while the key preserves.

So it would be a fill at 2.8, key at 4 and expose at 5.6 it'll be dark but the key will persist easily if its direct strong light and the fill will only be 2 stops under.

The result should be someone in an unlight room where the only light is from the streetlight outside his window which cuts across the end of his bed at an angle partially lighting him.

For morning what could work better could be messing with the colour tempeture, expose for tungston light but shoot using blue gels or daylight will spill the image with a light blue tint, emphasizing again *daylight* and giving this faded look to the overall image look.

Two out of many possible set ups.

Advertisement