Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Open Day Advice

Options
  • 08-12-2010 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm going to the UCD open day this weekend and have looked into the courses I want to do etc. I'm interested in Law and UCD seems like a strong option. The prospectus gave the impression of a strong emphasis on sports at UCD also which appeals to me.

What I'm asking for is any advice so I can get the most from the open days: what types of questions to ask, who should I ask these questions to, what ares of the college should I vist and any other things I should be aware of.

I'd like to walk away from the open day with a better understanding of Law and sport at UCD. Awell as student life and things to do on nights out.

Any advice from current students would be great,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

No point in going to an Open Day and asking questions that are already clearly answered in the propaganda and on the website. Read this first and then ask about things that aren't clear or aren't included in the general information.

If Law interests you, then look at the plans for the new Law school and try and visualise this at its site at the traffic lights near the Quinn school.
    http://www.ucd.ie/law/ucdsutherlandbuilding/video/

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I'm a first year at UCD and I went to the open day last year. I wasn't completely sure about what course I wanted to do at the time so my strategy was to go around and collect information from any course that was a possibility.

It's held in a large hall with stands for each course and there are representatives beside their respective stands who you can ask questions and get more information from. If you're fairly sure that law is where your interests lie I would think about a few main questions that you want to ask about the course tonight ahead of time so that you don't forget tomorrow. The people were nice and happy to answer questions so I wouldn't worry at all.

As for sports, I wouldn't be the best person to advise you on that but I'm sure the sports centre will be open tomorrow so you could have a look around at the facilities and probably some sort of booklet will be offered outlining the different teams at UCD and sporting opportunities.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Basically go to the Law desk at O Reilly hall and ask the questions there. Take a campus tour, they probably wont bring you to the Law building because it is a bit out of the way. Check out the sports centre and see the plans for the new student centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

I would ask them all their opinion on having an actual campus! To be honest the campus life is amazing here, your completely blocked off from the real world and you literally have a mini city.

A question that you wont find online is what each person feels of campus life?

Also maybe ask eachother the benefits of living on campus and about the different residences. I live in Roebuck halls and I booked it because it was the most expensive and to me I thought that quality was important, but now that Ive been to all of them I realise you can make the residences your own. Like Belgrove is the cheapest but if you have nice room mates (who clean up) then its great, no need to spend 6000 when you can pay 3500!

Personally this is my opinion on the residences:

Roebuck Castle (Catered): It is nice, you have a gym, a study room and a TV room with the licence paid but you live with 11 other people and dont really get to know any of them, also it costs a bomb and your meals are at certain times so you need to plan your day around them!

Roebuck Halls: A great place to live, the rooms are great, ensuite and the kitchen are is nice. You live in an apt of 6 and this is the MOST i would ever live with, its nearly too many because a few may get on ur nerves.

Glenomena: Is great accommodation although the rooms are a little small. The living area is nice as you have a proper couch! The kitchens are quite homely too. Both Roebuck and Glenomena are more or less on par but Roebuck does have the edge I have to admit! Here you will have 6 people per apt and its in the same grounds as Merville so the shop is in easy reach!

Merville: Probably the best value for money. Some of the apts are renovated and they are amazing for the price. They are near the campus shop, Centra, and this is a real bonus. Only downside is that some of the older ones are a bit dated looking but then again not too bad. Only real downside to Merville and to Glenomena is that the security is like North Korea, no one comes in after 12 unless they live there.

Belgrove: People that dont live there call it Belgrade or Hellgrove, but the people that live there absolutely love it! Its really close to Newman for arts and Quinn for Commerce but in total this is where the fun is! People love living here because you only have 3 people per apt. Very few bedrooms are overlooked and most of them are facing woods so no one can see into your room which is a bonus. They are a pretty decent size apartment for just 3 people so this is great. I feel 3 people is the perfect amount of people to live with but you may get unlucky with room mates as some do. Some can be absolute slobs and never clean up and continue to make a mess without even caring or even noticing.

Hope this was helpful, all ill say is every accommodation has its advantages and disadvatages but I was snobby about accom at first but now I really wouldnt mind living in any of the residences!

Best of luck in the Open day!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

@Cipango, you forgot Glenomena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

Ruski wrote: »
    @Cipango, you forgot Glenomena.

Thanks, I fixed it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Wagonwheelkid

Thanks for all the advice, appreciate it !

Il look into everthing you mentioned tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Wagonwheelkid

Have to say the open day was excellent.

Thanks to the people who organised it !

Got all the information I was looking for and everyone was happy to answer any of my questions, UCD is a strong contender!

Advertisement