Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop for tinkets! in Dublin

Options
  • 08-12-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some trinkety type prezzies for people - anyone recommend some cool shops I could include when i'm out shopping in Dublin?
    ie- Pretty things, shiney things, music and movie merch and posters, smelly things! foodie things

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You'd want maybe gourmet shops for foodie things, or chocolate shops.
    Gadget shops / hmv etc for merchandise/music, maybe debenhams too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

HMV have some movie and music mugs etc in their basement, which is worth a look. I got a very cute magnet there as part of a bigger gift. For foodie gifts you could try Fallon and Byrne on Exchequer Street but they are really pricey.

Marks and Spencer have tons of stocking filer type gifts, and you may find some mini Christmas cakes or Christmas puds in their food hall. Lush at the Trinity end of Grafton Street do little lip balms etc which are cute and smell lovely, Reads of Nassau Street are great for nice diaries and notebooks and stuff in the basement, Easons on O'Connell Street has lots of candles and gifts and such upstairs.

Forever 21 and New Look in the Jervis Centre have cool cheap-ish accessories, although be careful in New Look as I accidentally bought gloves with a ripped seam the same day as my friend bought a stained shirt (they were grand about replacing my gloves though - my friend didn't bother swapping her shirt).

I also got some nice stocking filler things in the big Dunnes on Henry Street. Napkins, Christmas decorations, place mats, coasters, candle holders, that kind of thing.

Also, for funky and unusual presents I love the Avoca shop on Suffolk Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

I think the best shops for trinkety things would be:

Pretty things and shiny things - Urban Outfitters, Avoca

Music and movie merchandise and posters - Tower Records, HMV

Smelly things - Lush, L'Occitane

Foodie things - Avoca (downstairs), Temple Bar Food Market

Keep in mind that all of the above shops are pretty pricey though.

Also, George's Street Arcade has stalls that have all of the types of stuff you're looking for. Perhaps you should start there...

It aslo might be worth checking out this market ( http://www.ddda.ie/index.jsp?p=94&n=105&a=1794 ), I haven't been but it could be worth a look.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Banana Tree and Tk Maxx in The Stephens Green Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Pasttimes on Wicklow Street has gorgeous faux-antique trinkety things like jewellery, ornaments, toys, books etc. Also available online at http://www.pasttimes.com/page/home/. Currently has fifty percent off a lot of stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

some good suggestions there thanks i wanted to keep away from the department stores for some gifts and try to get stuff they might not have seen.
    I've found charity shops are good!

There's a shop down the end of the GPO Arcade, just by the penney's entrance end, that's always got little bits and bobs. Great for gifts. Safari Crafts on Liffey street is good, got a jewelery box there once that I love. A lot of the little shops around temple bar are good. If you're willing to spend a bit more cash, there's a place on Exchequer street (the end of Wicklow st.) called Fallon and Byrne that does nice sweet things; Double stuffed oreos, Willy Wonka Chocolate, really good quality stuff, some novelty chocolate too. Especially great for getting some of the things you find in America but can't usually find over here.

It's already been mentioned but the Georges street arcade is great for trinkets too and HMV and Tower are good for movies, posters and music.

Advertisement