Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky to air Red Zone in place of 6pm game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Not sure how I feel about this, I haven't seen it before and am curious. There are a couple of hostile comments on NFLUK.com, I'm willing to give it a go. It's a good thing to do for the weeks coming up to the playoffs, when every score matters. Of course it caters to fantasy players too....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

red zone is quality but i watch it online anyway, was always nice to have the live game on sky sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hmm im not a fan of red zone...it kinda gets confusing and you lose track of games as they switch back and forth between them.

I have only seen it once and it was massively confusing...Make sure you're relatively sober when watching it tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Terrible move imo. I hate the red zone channel, much prefer to watch a game of football and everything that goes on in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

fisgon wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about this, I haven't seen it before and am curious. There are a couple of hostile comments on NFLUK.com, I'm willing to give it a go. It's a good thing to do for the weeks coming up to the playoffs, when every score matters. Of course it caters to fantasy players too....

Agree with this. I'll reserve judgement. It may have been a good idea to try it out before week 15. Like week 1. See what the feedback was like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Not too sure about this idea either but why couldnt sky just put the RED ZONE on the red button so as to offer there viewers a choice of what to watch.

Would probably prefer if they had a comprihensive highlights programme on the monday night instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Is this Soccer Saturday (Jeff Stelling etc) but with live game action and not just howling and screaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

In a way yeah. You'll be watching a games and then it'll cut away to another one where a team is moving it's way into the 20yd line. Keeps cutting between different games when a TD is scored or whatever.

Like an extended highlights as it happens, if that makes sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

eagle eye wrote: »
    Terrible move imo. I hate the red zone channel, much prefer to watch a game of football and everything that goes on in it.

yeah if the team I want to watch are playing, then I'd prefer to see the whole game. but I find when I'm watching crap games, I am constantly on the net looking at updates of other games and seeing what is happening. anyway, my reliance on sky went a good while ago onoce they started cutting back on their coverage. and for the last while, I have found myself watching red zone when the patriots arent playing, and once there is a game on that is interesting or close, I'll switch that one on and watch that live instead.

as afar as this goes tho, I think it would be a better option to have it as the red button option, and it would be great if they had that all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

At least it guarantees that we wont have the f**king Viqueens AGAIN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I much prefer having a game on the television and red zone beside me on the laptop tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Does the Red Zone channel carry ads in game? I can see that being an issue for Sky if it doesn't. Half times would overlap in games too. Makes the studio lads fairly redundant from 6 till 9 too.

It's a great way of attracting more casual people to watch the game though as a lot of people just watch the NFL for the TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

bruschi wrote: »
    yeah if the team I want to watch are playing, then I'd prefer to see the whole game. but I find when I'm watching crap games, I am constantly on the net looking at updates of other games and seeing what is happening. anyway, my reliance on sky went a good while ago onoce they started cutting back on their coverage. and for the last while, I have found myself watching red zone when the patriots arent playing, and once there is a game on that is interesting or close, I'll switch that one on and watch that live instead.

as afar as this goes tho, I think it would be a better option to have it as the red button option, and it would be great if they had that all year.

Sky have no interest in bringing back the red button coverage. It meant a split in their audience and they couldn't put ads in on the red button game. I think they can do that for their Champs League coverage but there are far less games. Would require them to hire another producer probably to feed in the ads at the right time. Sky just aren't arsed putting money into their presentation from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Each week I look forward to watching some game. I don't watch online cos I'll only have a look around the web and lose all interest in the game. If my team was playing the next few weeks on TV I'd lose the head. Will give this a chance if I'm home for it but I'd much rather a game at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Icepickle

bruschi wrote: »

Change Patriots to Dolphins & this post is exactly the same situation for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

Very bold call by sky watched it for the first half of the season over in the states when the raiders were on commercials, i thought it was great but i still had the option of flicking back to watch the whole raider game.

At least this way we will all get clips of our respective teams playing in the 6 o'clock slot vs not seeing them at all.

RedZone doesnt have ads in the states so don't know how it will work with sky, they'll have to cut to ads and skip some action going on while they are on ad breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

If the Giants weren't playing at 6 on Sunday week I'd watch the Red Zone coverage but since they are, I'll watch their game on Game Pass. I'm on the follow your team package on Game Pass and I'd prefer to watch the entire Giants game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I think it's a bold move by Sky.

I listen to the Packers game on Nfl Game Pass and this sounds real good.

I like the concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I'll have to wait and see before I can pass judgement.

The timing of it seems a little odd. Week 14 doesn't have any marquee matchups, but week 15 had Eagles v Giants, Saints v Ravens and Chiefs v Rams playing in the 6pm slot. I would have preferred to have the option of watching one of these 3 games.

The experience will be totally different from watching a full game IMO, there will be no feel for the ebb and flow, shifts in momentum, adjustments being made by a team etc. All that said, I have found myself with the laptop open during games recently, tracking other games for Fantasy Football purposes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If Redzone is on, I really don't see the point in having a studio. There will be barely any time for them to get a word in or opinion :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Again will have to see it but sounds good. It will be the UK studio i guess with the action taken from Red Zone. Nice to see more action. Glad didnt happen this week as the Giants are on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I reckon this might be something the NFL have asked them to do, maybe to bring more attention to the services gamepass offer and increase sales from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

Will hold off on judgement till I see what Sky do with this, watched it a couple of times in the States and found it handy enough if your just tuning in for a quick update on games. Would prefer the full game really and use the laptop for other game updates. Will be handy though for tracking Fantasy players....Good point someone else made about a comprehensive highlights/round up show on a Monday evening but wont hold my breath:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    I reckon this might be something the NFL have asked them to do, maybe to bring more attention to the services gamepass offer and increase sales from the UK.

They don't offer RedZone to UK game pass subscribers.

From a little bit of what they said on Thursday night, it could be a Sky version of the RedZone. halling said something like "a bit like they do on the NFL network"

I was falling asleep so he mightn't have actually said that but we'll find out next week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Raoul

You sure that they are showing Red Zone?

EDIT - Sorry its next week.

Advertisement