Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kinda bird is this?

Options
  • 08-12-2010 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

hi all, apologies for the very poor pic I couldnt get it zoomed fast enough to catch him.

went for a hike up the dublin mountains last wednesday, needless to say its quite another world up there during a heavy snow. (ive included a second pic for your enjoyment)

On my assent through kilmashogue forest spotted this guy flying over my head. shortly after he landed on a rock just up ahead of me, alas as soon as i reached for the camera he legged it.

can anyone tell me what it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

More info would be useful.

An indication of size? Compare it to a bird you know.

An indication of colour if possible. Dark, light? Borwn, Grey?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

I'm thinking kestrel by the look of it but couldn't rule out a merlin. If you have any observations about it when it landed on the rock let us know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like a holly to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

they all look alike from afar..i would guess kestrel too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

Gut instinct says kestrel but if the angle was better I wouldn't rule out sparrowhawk... though the wings do look pointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Anyone know what type this little guy is. He was buzzing around a pair of Buzzards today....I dont think he is a Kestrel as he has redish legs, Thanks.

img0183g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Sparrowhawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

Yes a sparrowhawk. Notice the bars on the chest of the bird a kestrel would be streaked...

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Mothman wrote: »
    More info would be useful.

An indication of size? Compare it to a bird you know.

An indication of colour if possible. Dark, light? Brown, Grey?

he seemed to be about the same size as a crow, maybe slightly smaller, grey in colour, other than that ive nothing to go on, i looked down to get the camera and he was gone in a flash, apologies for the vagueness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

foolelle wrote: »
    he seemed to be about the same size as a crow, maybe slightly smaller, grey in colour, other than that ive nothing to go on, i looked down to get the camera and he was gone in a flash, apologies for the vagueness

it looks like a sparrow hawk to me but not at all sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

cool, thanks for all replies

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

I showed Foolelle's photo to a friend of mine, who I would regard as extremely knowledgeable in bird matters, especially raptors.
    Without missing a beat he said kestrel, that would certainly be good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Git101 wrote: »
    I showed Foolelle's photo to a friend of mine, who I would regard as extremely knowledgeable in bird matters, especially raptors.
    Without missing a beat he said kestrel, that would certainly be good enough for me.
    The flight silohouette tells us it's a raptor like bird (short head/neck, long tail, long wings), but IMO you can't definitely say it's a kestrel from that photo alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

The flight silohouette tells us it's a raptor like bird (short head/neck, long tail, long wings), but IMO you can't definitely say it's a kestrel from that photo alone.

You may well be right Feargal, all I can tell you is this guy has kept, bred and flown raptors all his adult life and didn't hesitate for a second when shown the photo.

This is my source

Advertisement