Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad Options with a 2.2?

Options
  • 08-12-2010 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong sections, mods feel free to move. Basically I graduated in October 2010 with a 2.2 degree in Psychology, I left third year with a 1.1 and due to illness throughout my Final Year it went down to a 2.2 :(

Im beginning to apply for Masters now, and the ones I ideally would like to do are all looking for a 2.1 or higher. I understand this is the norm and it was what I aimed for, but I feel like I may have lost out on any future in Psychology due to my 2.2?

I have 5 months work experience working with previous offenders in Chicago, USA, and will be volunteering with the Rape Crisis Centre starting in January. My FYP (dissertation) was on perceptions of criminality based on physical characteristics.

I'm interested in doing the MA in criminology in DIT, and hopefully looking to get into Clinical/Forensic Psychology (I'd ideally like to be a forensic psychologist, but Clinical would realistically be the best route to take due to the lack of demand for Forensic in this country).

Is there any way I can increase my chances when applying for courses? For example in my personal statement, or has anyone any alternative routes I could take? I'd ideally like to start postgrad studies in September 2011 at the latest, before I get comfortable with a full time job and having money :)

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 elfan

Hi Lola!
    The position you are in is a tricky one but you definitely have options. The practical experience you have in the states is brilliant and will really help you! The I finished with a 2.1 but the problem I had getting into forensic psychology courses was they asked for "experience in a forensic setting" which is very hard to obtain in this country. I did the MA in Criminology in DIT (which a 2.2 will be acceptable for) and got into a forensic masters straight away afterwards. It is all about setting yourself apart, try to make your masters dissertation as applied as possible too. I have just finished the forensic psych masters and am just about to start the doctorate (stage 2 in the UK), it is a long road but well worth it. In terms of staying in Ireland (opportunities are scarce) it really is a case of get qualified in the UK (or Australia) and then go back home. I hope this is in some way helpful send me a pm if you want to know anything else.

Advertisement