Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another stupid Garda car thread. But anyway...

Options
  • 07-12-2010 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks.

Apologies if this has been posted already but this has been on my mind a long time.

Are all Garda cars D reg. Some folks are talking about KE reg Isuzu`s on the M4 and LS reg cars on the M8.

Is this only bull or is it true.

Thanks for the replies..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Hello folks.

Apologies if this has been posted already but this has been on my mind a long time.

Are all Garda cars D reg. Some folks are talking about KE reg Isuzu`s on the M4 and LS reg cars on the M8.

Thanks for the replies..

No not all vehicles are D reg.

Some vehicles are given on trial by companies, some are taken into the fleet from seized cars.....and the rest....well the rest we wont get into on a public forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Hello folks.

Thanks for the replies..

All D so far. As long as Minister for Justice has an address in dublin, cars are regd there.

All D so far. As long as Minister for Justice has an address in dublin, cars are regd there.

Garda vehicles are not registered to the minister.

See above post in regards "all D so far"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

No not all vehicles are D reg.

Some vehicles are given on trial by companies, some are taken into the fleet from seized cars.....and the rest....well the rest we wont get into on a public forum

Cheers I actually seen a souped up Mondeo in Fermoy with all the extras. I seen a member driving it I was kinda shocked.

Thanks anyway NGA..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I always heard small members drive souped up big cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Cheers I actually seen a souped up Mondeo in Fermoy with all the extras. I seen a member driving it I was kinda shocked.

Thanks anyway NGA..:)

I know they've a 3.0 V6 marked,what colour is the unmarked?

staker wrote: »
    I know they've a 3.0 V6 marked,what colour is the unmarked?

Lets not get into that, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Just read the charter, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

i saw an unmarked dmax yesterday in naas, all white with big alloys and a cover over the back, looked really cool with the white lightbar aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

guil wrote: »
    i saw an unmarked dmax yesterday in naas, all white with big alloys and a cover over the back, looked really cool with the white lightbar aswell

An unmarked d-max but with a lightbar?

Definately Garda and not private with amber lights, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

The unmarked Dmax is actually a Civil Defence vehicle. It won't bw marked up until next year. Very nice interior and light scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Garda vehicles are not registered to the minister.

See above post in regards "all D so far"

Commish now is it?
    Ours are regd to the RC. Different procurement system though(see my dissertation in templemore on Procurement of Garda Vehicles and fleet management)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

Am i not right in saying that all the normal patrol cars(marked and unmarked)not under cover are registered to garda HQ in pheonix park and thats why they are all D reg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

darren254 wrote: »
    Am i not right in saying that all the normal patrol cars(marked and unmarked)not under cover are registered to garda HQ in pheonix park and thats why they are all D reg

I think what NGA is saying is this above was the case, but it is not the case anymore. We shall see with the new fleet coming out.

It's like any fleet, it's just handy to have a systematic process for registration, insurance and taxation purposes.

Not so handy for undercover purposes.

msg11 wrote: »
    I think what NGA is saying is this above was the case, but it is not the case anymore. We shall see with the new fleet coming out.

It's like any fleet, it's just handy to have a systematic process for registration, insurance and taxation purposes.

Not so handy for undercover purposes.

No it still will be the case with new vehicles im told. Still registered to the Chief Supt procurement in the Depot.

Im saying that seized cars have been taken into the fleet, vehicles fully marked are frequently given on demo with different regs and vehicles used by those who will not be named are not D registered all the time.

What im trying to say is if a person is brought to court for failing to stop etc....saying "I didnt think it was a Garda car as it didnt have a D reg" wont fly.

sdonn wrote: »
    An unmarked d-max but with a lightbar?

Definately Garda and not private with amber lights, no?
    yep male and female gardai inside in full uniform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

yep male and female gardai inside in full uniform

Yes I seen this aswell but it had a car pulled in...:confused:. Allthough the civil defence uniform could be mistaken for the Guards uniform. I often have my friend in the car who often has his uniform and people often think he is a guard.

Back to the seized vehicles. If you remember in the news CAB seized two bullet proof SUV`S. I am not going describing them.;) They were seized of members of a Limerick gang.

I think this is a fantastic idea. The AGS have been driving around in crap long enough. Its madness th see the TC driving 07 mondeos nearly 4 years old..:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Keep this thread on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Never seen a Garda car that wasn't a D reg before in my life however I assume that those bullet proof 4x4's that were given to the garda by CAB arent D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Passed a silver 2009 mondeo on the M18 yesterday had a driver pulled over
    The Gardai driving it were D branch both dressed in civies and the car was not registered in Dublin
    Had blue lights built into the grill and on the back window but was unmarked i.e. the lights weren't visible til the turned them on to pull yer man over

As an aside
    Have seen alot of traffic stops by detectives in unmarked cars in this neck of the woods lately
    Some nice drug hauls being seized from cars in the Midwest in the last month or 2 as well :D

• Advertisement

while we're on the topic, a few months ago i was on captains hill in leixlip, i was on the wrong side of the road and a hatchback focus pulled up in front of me, definately had lights behind the grill but no lights on the side of the bumper and a guard was driving it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

while we're on the topic, a few months ago i was on captains hill in leixlip, i was on the wrong side of the road

As you do like .....:confused:

Ha ha forgot to say I drive a bin lorry and depending on traffic we pull over for bins

while we're on the topic, a few months ago i was on captains hill in leixlip, i was on the wrong side of the road and a hatchback focus pulled up in front of me, definately had lights behind the grill but no lights on the side of the bumper and a guard was driving it

There are a few around like that one.

First one I've noticed. Ya can tell a normal unmarked off a mile away anyway. I dot think the focus even had extra aerials on the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

you'd spot a marked car straight away, you'd notice if a marked car pulled out in front of you, but you'd be hard pressed to spot a surveillance car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

Locust wrote: »
    you'd spot a marked car straight away, .

i hope????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Heheh.. I think that might have been a typo!

psni wrote: »
    Heheh.. I think that might have been a typo!
    hmmm typo you say;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

haha yeah sorry - 'unmarked' (geesh!)

Advertisement