Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sell my horse

Options
  • 07-12-2010 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I was wondering where is a good place to try and sell my horse. I am a college student living away from home and the lack of time forces the sale.

He is a 16hh Registered Irish Sport Horse which has done everything and is a dear family friend and pet.

Anybody know where to advertise to sell him because he is a genuine horse and I want him going to a good home.

<snip>

Mod edit: Please PM V8power if you can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Honestly, you will need to advertise anywhere you can. At the moment, horses aren't selling well. Try places like DoneDeal and The Dealer as-well as any newspapers etc.

If you are worried about which home he is going to, as far as I know, you can ask to see where the horse is going and check out the stables before deciding to sell to that person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 V8power

Thanks for your advice, I know its a really bad time to be trying to sell.

I have been putting it off for so long, didn't want to sell him but lack of time and the cost of having him in livery and having them exercise him daily is beginning to be too much. I'm only a student and just having the horse looked after is using up all the money I have ever earned every summer!:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Would you consider trying to find someone to share him? Or leasing or loaning him?

If you're going to advertise him, you'll be best to try everything possible, as sup_dude said. Try the Irish Field, Farmers' Journal, Buy and Sell, donedeal.ie, notices in local tack shops, livery yards and riding schools, word of mouth. As far as I know, the AIRC offer an advertising service on their website, so if you are a club member you could try there?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

definitely agree with convert, for what you'd get for most horses the way the economy is at the moment your definitely better off looking for someone to loan him? theres a fair amount of people looking for horses to loan around the country and at least that way rather than getting f**k all for him he's still yours!

have a look on donedeal or in the share/loan thread on boards

if your still thinking of selling, these are a few of the most popular sites:
    www.donedeal.ie
    www.irishhorsetrader.com
    www.horseplay.ie
    www.horsehunter.ie

buy and sell and gumtree can be useful too, and put up ads in your local tack shop and in your yard etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Maybe if you can put them out to grass long term, a friend of mine put her horse out for a year in a place out near ballyboughal with a herd. Cost around 100 per month, took her back in and started riding again. Saved a lot of money and I'm sure her Horse enjoyed the break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

I would stopped the full livery right now, you have no time to ride him why pay people to ride him. If you can get a horsey friend or sharer to exercise him that be more helpful.
    I would also consider loan, local area only so you can visit and check up on your horse and have the odd ride.
    Or field rest until you find a good solution; loan home, job after or during college or suitable new owner.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 V8power

My horse is now sold, after lots of inquiries he was sold to a good home:)

V8power wrote: »
    My horse is now sold, after lots of inquiries he was sold to a good home:)

Sorry to hear you sold your horse, V8, but hopefully it was made easier by the fact that he went to a good home.

Would you like me to close this thread now?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

ill give you my honda civic for it;)

Thread closed at OP's request (and to prevent the thread being taken over by unrelated posts ^^^).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement