Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some help identifying this spider!!

Options
  • 07-12-2010 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Found this spider in our kitchen. My wife was not interested when she found it and just warned me not to step on it. When I looked it had the features of a black widow and from googling it seems to be a false widow spider but I can't be sure. Never seen one like this before so it had me interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Is it more brown than black in colour?

It looks a bit like the biting spider/false black widow (although there are quite a few spiders that go by the false black widow name) or Steatoda nobilis to give it it's proper name.

Never seen one in Ireland though, but I have seen them in Devon.

Mothman is the guy you want to check out your pics though, as he has a lot more knowledge that I do when it comes to arachnids, insects and such creatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Kess73 wrote: »

Mothman is the guy you want to check out your pics though, as he has a lot more knowledge that I do when it comes to arachnids, insects and such creatures.
    My knowledge of arachnids stretches to consulting a book that has colour pictures :)

Anyway, having consulted this book and then a little search, I've arrived at a Steatoda species, but Steadoda grossa aka False Widow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 balrog_beag

Thanks guys for the replies.. The pictures in Mothmans link are exactly like the spider that I have, you have come to the answer of one of my questions again. She is an off colour brown with triangular cream spots on her back with a crescent cream mark above them.I never realised that we had spiders here in Ireland that would give a bite like a bee sting :eek:

Are they common in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 balrog_beag

OK, I am now getting really interested (my wife is getting worried though) as we found another one of these spiders hanging underneath the cupboards in the kitchen and from what I can find this one looks like a male of the same species that I caught last week.. see attached photo..

I'm just wondering how common these are to Ireland and is it a bit strange to have two in the same part of the house? From googling these spiders it seems to be a bit odd to have them here in the first place!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

OK, I am now getting really interested (my wife is getting worried though) as we found another one of these spiders hanging underneath the cupboards in the kitchen and from what I can find this one looks like a male of the same species that I caught last week.. see attached photo..

I'm just wondering how common these are to Ireland and is it a bit strange to have two in the same part of the house? From googling these spiders it seems to be a bit odd to have them here in the first place!!

If you are serious about that picture then you need to stay away from it,its a brown recluse spider!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5155965_identify-brownrecluse-spiders.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement