Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uses for large quantity of empty kegs?

Options
  • 07-12-2010 8:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

I work in a pub and twice in the last month guys have come in offering to buy empty kegs
    At 1st the owner thought they wanted just a few for something but they asked for as many as possible and would take them every week

What would they want them for??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

scrap maybe,
    used to live in pennsylvania, you had to put a 15 euro deposit on to get a keg but the scrapyard would give ya 30

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Asked my uncle and he said there is no deposit system here they just collect the amount emties you order?
    He said he was sure scrap yards dont take them here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I was talking to a guy who collects scrap a few weeks ago and he goes around collecting them. They fetch handy enough money at the scrap yard too he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

They'll get a nice price at the scrapyard. Either that or they're filling them up again and selling them on.... or cutting the top off and deep frying turkeys. I think the scrap option is more likely, you should weigh an empty one and get a price from a scrap dealer to see what kind of money they're making.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

bombs.
    or keggles.
    I hope keggles.

• Advertisement

Was wondering even my uncle was,i asked him but he said travellers use to try that and scrap yards wouldnt take them

Plus he leaves them outside the pub for years and they have never been robbed so scrap yards must not take them??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just ask them!

If they were strong looking lads it could be for weightlifting, or strongman type training. You can open or drill into them and fill with sand or gravel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Yeah, could be for strongman training / competition. Although I guess it depends how many they're trying to take off your hands.

Kegs even featured in a Rocky training montage (around the 2 minute mark).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GzIPiPbKSs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 ballybunionlad

Maybe they are producing bbq's.

Cut the keg straight down the middle. Stick a couple of hinges on. Throw in a bit of charcoal and..............

Bobs your uncle.

Didnt look like strongman types to me.They want as many as possible every week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

bigpink wrote: »
    Plus he leaves them outside the pub for years and they have never been robbed so scrap yards must not take them??

Yes they do, one of the scrapyards in Cork definitely does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

A big giant raft maybe. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Work in a pub too and never have had a problem with them being stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

bigpink wrote: »
    I work in a pub and twice in the last month guys have come in offering to buy empty kegs
    At 1st the owner thought they wanted just a few for something but they asked for as many as possible and would take them every week

What would they want them for??
    we sell them for scrap
    it is not hard to figure it out
    and before someone gets wise and asks 50 euro per keg is the going rate
    and yes we are making a fortune :-) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I'm guessing probably for scrap and 50Euro each that is good and easy money if you can get you hands on it.

However I did see a very interesting use for them on a programme before not sure where though ... probably the UK. Anyway an unemployed guy started to make them into serious charcole BBQ's and was making a nice living on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How about this?

redneck-christmas-tree-win.png

Advertisement