Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Maps 5.0 Unveiled

Options
  • 07-12-2010 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭

This update actually looks bitchin :cool:
    Why look at static images when you can get a more 3D view of the urban scene? Google's Maps for Mobile 5 just got previewed on stage by Andy Rubin at D: Dive Into Mobile -- with a prototype Motorola Honeycomb tablet, no less! The biggest visual change is dynamic map drawing: vectors instead of flat images that scale without render hiccups and will show the buildings fleshed out for over 100 cities -- we gotta say, it looks great. Even more fun is that you can now use two fingers to tilt and rotate around the map (in addition to moving and pinch-to-zoom, of course). We've been told it's a much snappier experience, and the storage for these vectors is much smaller than the current images, which brings us to... offline caching. Maps will keep on file the locations that you go to (and search) most often, and it'll be able to reroute while offline in Navigation. You'll still need a connection for altering the route altogether -- sorry, subway-hoppers -- but once you go, even if you stray, you'll still be rerouted back on track.

Most modern Android phones from the original Droid onward should be able to enjoy most if not all the new features, depending on hardware capabilities (3D rendering) and "distinct multitouch" hardware support -- the Nexus One, interestingly enough, supports vector maps but not the rotate functionality because it lacks the latter multitouch requirements. Google sent us a list of devices that support 100 percent of 5.0's features, which you can find after the break. The update is due out in the "coming days," according to Rubin. Great way to kick off Nexus S' launch, then.

Engadget

Pity the screen on the desire and Nexus 1 means a few parts wont work since they con only recognise 2 points properly :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Stevokenevo

This update actually looks bitchin :cool:

Engadget

Pity the screen on the desire and Nexus 1 means a few parts wont work since they con only recognise 2 points properly :(

Rumour has it the Nexus S can identify 5 separate touch points at once

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Sound like a fantastic update, cant wait to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Rumour has it the Nexus S can identify 5 separate touch points at once

You mean this? http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/pm/PackageManager.html#FEATURE_TOUCHSCREEN_MULTITOUCH_JAZZHAND ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Baza210 wrote: »
    Goes well with the "annoy dianne" /true in there somewhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

WOW

another thing that the HTC Hero (and the like) cant do. i love my HERO, but when google says that there isnt any fragmentation on android, they're lying through their teeth.

is really expensive to keep up with hardware in the phone industry. if i bought a DHD/Z, which is tempting, i know for a fact it'll be outdated/left behind within a very few short months.

at least my PC can still play the latest games, and its dated. the Hero cant even handle skype and texting at the same time, let alone angry birds etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

what did you expect? you buy a mid end phone and want all the goodies for it?

i bought my hd2 last year and its still rocking the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    WOW

another thing that the HTC Hero (and the like) cant do. i love my HERO, but when google says that there isnt any fragmentation on android, they're lying through their teeth.

is really expensive to keep up with hardware in the phone industry. if i bought a DHD/Z, which is tempting, i know for a fact it'll be outdated/left behind within a very few short months.

at least my PC can still play the latest games, and its dated. the Hero cant even handle skype and texting at the same time, let alone angry birds etc.

The Hero got the 2.1 update.
    This only needs 1.6 for the majority of the features

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

WOW

How is that an issue of Android fragmentation? Hardware moves on, software evolves to take advantage leaving old models behind? That's akin to saying that my old laptop can't run Crysis because of windows fragmentation. Most of the people banging on about "Android fragmentation" are using the term incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

+1. People mistake fragmentation for what it really is - the advancement of technology. It's even more pertinent for mobile phone technology which is one of the few consumer areas where people will upgrade almost on an annual basis. You take out a one year contract with a subsidized phone and you wash rinse and repeat.

When you look at the evolution or lack off, of the iPhone, it's clear that over the next few years that that will fall behind because it is firmly embedded in a market that is comfortable in having more of the same. I wouldn't be surprised if Google will overtake Apple the way that Nokia is currently being sidelined.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

WOW

another thing that the HTC Hero (and the like) cant do.

The phone is out around 18 months at this stage and was brought out in the early stages of smartphone development so what do you expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Just got this now, when I updated earlier it was still at v4.7.
    Presume it caches to the sd card or there'll be trouble. Was using Navigon before, found it fairly average tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

im a bit retarded, can someone please explain the diff between the pan and the tilt gestures?

edit///
    two fingers baby

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

This is all kinds of amazing.

The Desire not being able to rotate is quite a big issue though. It's the first time I feel like I'm actually missing out on something new.

It's a real pity there isn't an alternative way to use this function.

Really impressed with everything else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

S.M.B. wrote: »
    This is all kinds of amazing.

The Desire not being able to rotate is quite a big issue though. It's the first time I feel like I'm actually missing out on something new.

It's a real pity there isn't an alternative way to use this function.

Really impressed with everything else though.

Have prefetch on mobile setting to on, so the whole experience is really smooth , just hope it uses 100x less the data when rendering the vector graphics like it says.

Kinda annoyed at the lack of support for the rotate on the desire though. Could they not just replace the zoom keys to rotate keys since we all use the pinch to zoom thing anyway.

Any body know if this is true with the DHD aswell:confused:

I'm not going to bother with the mobile prefetch turned on. See if it remembers my daily activity and build up a little cache of Greater London.

There already seems to be a bit of a fuss over the no rotate on the desire and nexus one so it's possible they might do something about it.

Would be a great addition. Using 3D wouldn't be too useful if you can't rotate around the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Just installed on my DHD - great app. Rotating works using two fingers as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Great stuff, works a charm on the Galaxy S, its cached everything I've looked at so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Does the offline bit sync to phone storage or SD
    and if the route syncs to phone (or SD), does this mean if you find your route over wi-fi before you set off, that little or no data will be used over 3g as you drive to destination

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Just tried it on my N1. Still pretty impressive even without the rotate. Though I would like to see it implemented in some form or other. Like has been said before it's the first time I felt like I was missing out on something since getting the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

How do you update the Google maps version? OTA Update or market? I dont see it in either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

groom wrote: »
    How do you update the Google maps version? OTA Update or market? I dont see it in either.

If you open up the market, and go to the "My Apps" tab, you should see an option to update google Maps.

If you open up the market, and go to the "My Apps" tab, you should see an option to update google Maps.

Thanks for the reply. I don't see the Maps listed under that tab. I've got a Desire with 2.2 if it matters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

groom wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I don't see the Maps listed under that tab. I've got a Desire with 2.2 if it matters

Me too. Currently running v4.7

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

hmm, that's strange. You have Google Maps installed yeah?

yeah. I've got 4.4

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

For those still looking this should hopefully work.
    market___search_q_pname_.png

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I found that if I searched for Google Maps on the market and installed that version it was most up to date.

Did the same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pcboy

Install Market Enabler first, change to US T-Mobile network and you will see the GM v5.0 on the Android Market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

My SGS had 4.5 built in with no update link in the 'Download' part of the market but it did download the new 5.0 no problem Happy Days! :)

Advertisement