Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBCs "The Magicians"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think bringing magic to prime-time can only raise the profile but revealing tricks can cause more harm than good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Agreed, Im wondering what they're going to reveal and how much of an impact it will have on our routines!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Meh, this kind of TV magic exposure generally affects average joe working magician very little, but the increased profile of magic would likely mean additional bookings.

Typically this kind of show reveals only very outdated or impractical stuff anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Wonder how Derren and Keith feel about being called "illusionists" ??

I personally dont think that card tricks would entertain me week in week out on TV.
    On the other hand , are these guys expected to come up with new effects each week ? in that case I wouldnt be gone on it , it takes a good while to get an effect to the point of showing your friends never mind to the standard of TV.
    I'd hold off judgement till I hear who the magicians are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I got some info on this over the weekend from someone working on it.
    The format is that the magicians each have an apprentice ( z list celebs )who they teach an effect to each week. It'll be along the lines of the double lift / palm.the guy i was talking to was dealing with the magic side of things and didnt know if the public voted in or how the apprentices are knocked out each week.

Interestingly he said that BBC are "actively seeking" their own version of Derren Brown. Apparently they tried and failed to tempt Derren away from Channel 4 / E4

From the article linked above :
    There will be no judges or phone voting. A studio audience will determine which magician is victorious each week and decide on the final winner.

Proof positive that I'm an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

This show is cringe stuff.

A bit like the Dancing on Ice or X-Factor format.

They have a magic trick face off at the end each week.
    The rubbish trick gets knocked out.
    Problem is all the tricks are rubbish. Really useless.

Advertisement