Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a book please...

Options
  • 07-12-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi there.

I'm hoping somebody can recommend a book or two as a Christmas present. This may be difficult with the small amount of I have on what she's into. Here's what I got:

It's for my grandmother. When asked what sort of books she reads I was told "she likes reading books about people who have had long and interesting lives and who may have some good stories to tell about the troubled times. But she also likes a good fiction novel".

Hopefully that's enough for a few suggestions.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

I posted this in another thread....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69396223&postcount=2 ...I reckon it ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

How about Maureen O' Hara's autobiography? I haven't seen many of her films, but I picked the book up in the library when I was going through an autobiography phase. It's pretty entertaining, and easy enough reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

The Hare with Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance- Edmund de Waal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    - Love story of a strong female main character and the man she marries versus the man who is desperately in love with her.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck
    - Interspersed stories of the lives of two families and their children.

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
    - A little bit sci-fi but basically romantic story of a woman who meets her time-travelling husband when she is a child, and her life with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rascalini

What about the pillars of the earth by Ken Follett...

Its a novel based on history, Im reading it at the minute after my boyfriends whole family read it and raved about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Colum McCann "Let the great world spin" - excellent book, wonderfully written.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

ablelocks wrote: »
    Colum McCann "Let the great world spin" - excellent book, wonderfully written.

I'll strongly second this book, it's just brilliant. I also loved his book Rudi, about the ballet dancer Nureyev. It took me a while to get through Zoli, for some reason I just didn't enjoy it as much as any of his other books.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Thanks all.

Advertisement