Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cape Town Honeymoon Killing!

Options
  • 07-12-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭

I can't find the original thread.

Apparently, it wasn't a random hijacking but a murder plot. Cold blooded or what!
    Dewani wanted wife 'taken off the scene'
    2010-12-07 13:18
    Ben Maclennan

Cape Town - Shrien Dewani plotted his wife Anni's murder, the Western Cape High Court was told on Tuesday.

The revelation was made by Western Cape Director of Public Prosecutions, Rodney de Kock, during plea agreement proceedings.

"The deceased was murdered at the instance of her husband," he told Judge President John Hlophe.

In terms of the agreement, Hlophe sentenced Zola Tongo, 31, to an effective 18 years jail.

Not a hijacking

"The alleged hijacking was in fact not a hijacking, but part of a plan of subterfuge which Shrien Dewani, the husband of the deceased, and the accused had designed to conceal the true facts, to wit: that the deceased was murdered at the instance of her husband," said De Kock.

De Kock said Tongo took the couple from Cape Town International Airport to the Cape Grace hotel on the city's Waterfront on November 12.

After their arrival at the Cape Grace, Shrien asked Tongo to procure a hitman to have "a woman" killed for R15 000.

In a formal admission, handed in to court as part of the agreement, Tongo said he freelanced as a shuttle operator from Cape Town International Airport.

On November 12, he was waiting for fares at the airport when Shrien asked him to take him and Anni to the Cape Grace.

"After we arrived at the hotel, Shrien Dewani approached me alone and asked me if I knew anyone that could 'have a client of his taken off the scene'.

"After some discussion with him, I understood that he wanted someone, a woman, killed.

"He said he was willing to pay an amount of R15 000. Shrien Dewani said he had US dollars and could pay in US dollars."

Tongo said later that day he spoke to a friend about arranging a hitman. The friend put him in touch with the other two men who have been arrested in the case. They met in Tongo's vehicle in Khayelitsha on the afternoon of November 13.

"We agreed that Shrien Dewani and I would be ejected from the vehicle and that the female occupant had to be killed."

He picked up Shrien and Anni at the hotel that night and took them to some "city sights", before going to the intersection in Gugulethu where the hitmen were supposed to be.

They were not there, so he continued in the direction of Somerset West where the Dewanis had supper.

"Prior to entering the restaurant, Shrien Dewani asked me what was happening and said he wanted the job done that night."

While the Dewanis were having supper, one of the hitmen called Tongo and confirmed they would be at the agreed location.

Tongo said at one point in the vehicle, while he was driving around with the couple, he sent a text message to Shrien not to forget about the money.

Shrien replied by SMS that the money was in an envelope behind the front passenger seat.

The hitmen were waiting as arranged at the intersection of NY112 and NY108, in Gugulethu.

They carried out the fake hijacking and drove for a short distance before ordering Tongo out of the vehicle.

"They then drove off with Shrien Dewani and the deceased still in the vehicle.

"I knew that [the hitmen] would not harm Shrien Dewani and that he would be dropped off at some further point. I also knew that the deceased would be kidnapped, robbed and murdered... after Shrien Dewani had been ejected from the vehicle in accordance with the plan."

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Dewani-wanted-wife-taken-off-the-scene-20101207

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Innocent until proven guilty, but either way a very disturbing case.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Very odd altogether, looking back at reports. They'd only known eachother 13 months, and married two weeks. So it's not like he'd had enough of her and needed her taken off the scene. If he didn't like her, he could have just not married her.

It's unlikely that he would go from "I love you and want to marry you" to a position of, "I hate you, but must kill you to protect my assets" in a matter of two weeks.

Which is probably his best defence. The nature of the murder and his movements and comments afterwards don't cast him in a good light.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's some scary stuff alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Throw in Jessica Fletcher and you, sir, have an episode of Murder, She Wrote right there!
    The revelation was made by Western Cape Director of Public Prosecutions, Rodney de Kock, during plea agreement proceedings.

Tee-hee :pac:

Still, strange case. If he is rightfully found guilty then he is one evil bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Throw in Jessica Lange and you, sir, have an episode of Murder, She Wrote right there!

Surely you mean Jessica Fletcher? Unless it's the 1970s episode of Murder She wrote where King Kong abducts Lange and Mrs Fletcher investigates? That was a really good episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Surely you mean Jessica Fletcher? Unless it's the 1970s episode of Murder She wrote where King Kong abducts Lange and Mrs Fletcher investigates? That was a really good episode.

:D

*smack forehead*

Duuuurrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Very strange case but what a justice system. The murder took place around 3 weeks ago and the guy has already been sentenced to 18 years.

That's efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Very strange case but what a justice system. The murder took place around 3 weeks ago and the guy has already been sentenced to 18 years.

That's efficient

It was extra-quick because he was probably the only criminal caught in the last 20 years, so they had no-one else to deal with.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

seamus wrote: »
    Very odd altogether, looking back at reports. They'd only known eachother 13 months, and married two weeks. So it's not like he'd had enough of her and needed her taken off the scene. If he didn't like her, he could have just not married her.

Arranged marriage?

Honeymoon-murder-Shrien-Dewani-profile.html

Perhaps he got out a load of life insurance on her and needed to pay his gambling debts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭baldbear

It sounds very dodgy allright. Everyone knows you don't go near a township at night. From the off i thought there was more to this story than a robbery. I wonder had the woman a life assurance policy.

She was a hot piece of ass anyway. Very sad case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Well inocent til proven guilty and all, but i was pretty sus about this from the beginning. Any taxi driver worth his salt isnt going to drive wealthy forgeigners through a ghetto in a country where carjacking is practically the national sport, they took the car but dumped it and the womans body, (why didnt they take the car if they were carjackers?) and if they were going to murder the wife, why stop there and leave the husband as a witness? Why not kill him too?
    Too many things jsut dont add up about the whole case. Add to that that the husband now has max clifford as a publicist?! WTF? And his description of it 'being like soemthing out a movie' the next day, sorry but if my brand new bride had jsut been kidnapped, murdered, and for all he knew at the time, raped, i dont think id be able to calmly say 'yeah, it was liek something out of a film'. I think id be still in shock. And what self respecting man says "yeah sure, take my wife". Even if you had a gun pointed at you, i dont think youd jsut let a bunch of scumbags take your wife to god knows what fate even if it meant getting shot trying to stop it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You could figure it out fairly quickly. Cape Town is pretty safe - that is, by SA standards - apart from the city centre unless you go looking..I mean it's not Johannesburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That was one beautiful looking woman, Max Clifford should stick to celebs and keep out of the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Discovery+ have a documentary on this now, it's pretty much "when thick people with an education topping out as passing junior infants acquire mobile phones commit crime" the invesigation solves itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Anni's murder was in 2010- this story is an old one. There was a BBC documentary on it years and years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Wasn't the husband cleared of involvement? Officially anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

yeah he was tried and acquitted after the people who alleged he arranged the murder were caught in contradictions and lies.

I listened to the Casefile podcast about it - Casefile is very balanced and thoroughly researched. It doesn't throw in a mystery element where there's no mystery - like other podcasts do. The husband didn't come across great tbh but that's only one podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I think the thing that had struck me most was how stubbornly traditions have to be adhered to in some cultures, even if everyone involved lived and grew up in liberal Europe.

It is hardly surprising that some people might turn to unconventional methods to escape arranged marriages and the kind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement