Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Line Refresh

Options
  • 07-12-2010 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

So I had it in my head that I wanted to buy a new MacBook Pro. Is there a refresh due out in April like last year? I know you can't always wait for new tech etc, but I'm in no rush so if something new is coming out I'd wait and buy it in April. Any ideas on what will be updated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Nobody knows, but it is a fair bet that it will be updated about the same time. MacRumors have a good guide here:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Buyer%27s_Guide_%28time-ordered%29
    Looking at that, it could be as early as February, or as late as June, but they are advising to wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

January/February I'd say. There are rumours that Intel and Nvidia may be about to resolve their issues which would finally mean an i3 in the 13 inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

The physical body of the macbook pro line is set to stay around for a while but as other ppl have said the processors may change from core 2 duo to i3. Is i3 really that much better tho?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

yer man! wrote: »
    Is i3 really that much better tho?
    Afaik the performance boost of the i3 over the C2D is marginal. But there are other potential benefits. Hyper-threading, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

If only i had seen that guide last year. I bought my MBP, then 2 months later they release the new models. And apple might release it February/April. But i'd say that it would be released alongside the iPhone 5 in june.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

There should be a hardware refresh early in the new year which gives the possibility of another refresh before the end of the year. If it doesn't happen by March then I would expect a single refresh in June, which could coincide with the new OS release. But August - October is a more likely time frame for the release of Lion, for example Leopard (10.5) was supposed to release in June 2007 but didn't get released until the end of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I think that the lower end 13" models are going to use Intel's Sandybridge Processor technology, meaning that the graphics and processor are practally all in one.

Then again I could be completely wrong. :D

Advertisement