Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit Box -- stickless controller

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Ban them from Tournaments!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

That's crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Played a session of SSFIV last night, I'm a clumsy player, i've given up in terms of getting better because I can't get past my inability to control my character fully.

I can't utilise what I know about the game. Each match is a battle against myself as much as the other player, nearly every 3rd or 4th input I make on the stick comes out wrong. This means during any fight I have to deal with my character doing something totally random at a random time and try my best to have it not cost me the fight.

Be it randomly jumping in a random direction I didn't want. Random dashes, inability to block, moves and combos going nowhere. Imagine playing a game where every now and then your character does something inexplicable , as if someone's in another room with another controller that's also set to player1 pressing random buttons every now and then.

I could be on a 10 win streak. And my blood will be boiling. I want nothing more then to have precise clean control of my character , for my character to do what I want it to do at least 90% of the time.

Whenever I try to explain this to people , they say, "Ah yeah I drop combos too , etc etc"

No, this isnt my problem.

"You just need more practice"

I've been over a year at this. Its not practice on stick its just the fact that I'm too clumbsy with my hands.

"Go back to pad"

There was a number of reasons I moved to stick and one of them was I wanted more control , because I have these issues on a pad too. Constant input errors, the difference is the input errors are different, I do have faster reactions on pad for some moves, and I'm better on stick for others. The pad is too compressed. The stick layout is better.

I often think, argh just hook up the game to my brain so I can circumvent these damn hands.:pac:

So I'm looking at this video and my 1st thought is 'state of that yoke'

but within 2 seconds I see its genius.

I'm pretty damn sure looking at that , that my control of my character would increase 10 fold.

Ry says ban them, he has a point, in that imo looking at that, it is far better then a typical stick or pad, or keyboard.

I often wondered if you could make an even better controller for a fighting game and this looks like it. Its fascinating imo.

Of course it'd require relearning and retraining of how you play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think street fighter is at a stage* that no matter what you use, it still comes down to skill level.

*complete auto correct, shortcuts, macro mappings, auto block'ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

It comes down to skill level once you have complete control over your character. I have no doubts that most people on here have complete control be it with a pad or a stick. Let me put it another way. For someone starting to learn the game from scratch:

A stick allows more control over a pad. How much more is debatable but it does.

Thus the logical choice is to start with a stick. But in reality people rarely have that choice going into the game and as we all know, you can still compete just as much on pad as you can with stick.

Looking at this, it appears to me that this hitbox follows the same idea except I'm seeing it as better then pad stick and keyboard.

It also looks easy to use, for retards like me, who are clumsy ****ers.

I'd have it as a 6 button layout over an 8 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Nah, no reason to ban them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭erinsoup

Playing on keyboard/hitbox/keystick/whatever has its own set of limitations but at the end of the day its the player thats the real limiting factor.

Just to give a very simple example, 720 motions are very difficult on a keyboard but I wouldn't say its outright impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Yeah it definitely seems like you'ld be swapping one set of pros and cons for another.

I got a stick more to have something like an arcade cab than to get good at street fighter. Sort of like what Unky did, but less harcore and awesome :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Would be easy enough to test if you like the idea -
    get a PC version of any SF / fighting game
    map movement buttons to something like A,S,D,V and attacks to P [ ] and ; ' #
    play and see how it feels

Would certainly give some indication rather than flying blind (as you do when moving from pad to stick for example)

🤪

Advertisement