Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a headset for a Mac Mini

Options
  • 07-12-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to be able to use the Line-Level mic input if possible, but I need a headset for the mac mini.

Has anyone ever bought one for the machine? Or recommend?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

With a USB Griffin iMic, you can use any cheap headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Thanks for that. but I was hoping to avoid the using of a USB port. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

With built in Bluetooth support in the Mini I'd suggest any Bluetooth handsfree headset including the handsfree units from the many bluetooth headset providers.

If it's for quality stereo audio then try out any of the many of the A2DP wireless headphones available online. Personally I've been impressed with the Philips SHP6 series headset, though there are lots of other manufacturers

What functions do you expect this headset to provide ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

ZENER wrote: »

The ability to hear and speak on a microphone. :)

I wanted to avoid the bluetooth route as well (although both alternate choices are looking like the only way). The reason is that battery life tends to be an issue.

Whats the battery life on a headset in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

am i picking this up wrong - but why dont you just buy a regular headset that has 2 mini jack connections on it. 1 for the headphones and 1 for the mic???

like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=387930

there are plenty of others out there as well

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

big_moe wrote: »
    am i picking this up wrong - but why dont you just buy a regular headset that has 2 mini jack connections on it. 1 for the headphones and 1 for the mic???

Because the Mac Mini (at least the older form factor, not sure if they changed it with the new shape but doubtful) does not have a "proper" mic port, but a line level input. Plugging in a standard headset as described would result in very low or no volume from the mic - you'd need a headset that amplifies the mic input instead. It's one of the stupidest things on the Mac Mini TBH and I can't understand why Apple went this way with it... (not the case on any other Macs AFAIK).

OP, sorry no suggestions, FWIW, I use the Griffin iMic too and it is excellent but you'd obviously be giving up a USB port that you don't want to do...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Use a powered USB hub. There are plenty of good ones on offer, which won't break the bank. My wife uses a "SilverCrest" one with her ancient G4 Mac Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭Talisman

ZENER wrote: »
    With built in Bluetooth support in the Mini I'd suggest any Bluetooth handsfree headset including the handsfree units from the many bluetooth headset providers.

If it's for quality stereo audio then try out any of the many of the A2DP wireless headphones available online. Personally I've been impressed with the Philips SHP6 series headset, though there are lots of other manufacturers

Ken
    Bluetooth isn't really an option if you are using Airport as they both share the same chip. Bluetooth has a tendency to crash if there is a period of sustained wireless network activity such as transferring files to a Time Capsule.

My advice would be to go for a decent USB headset (Logitech Laptop Headset H555) and a powered USB hub if you need additional USB ports - avoid Belkin products.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Talisman wrote: »
    Bluetooth has a tendency to crash if there is a period of sustained wireless network activity such as transferring files to a Time Capsule.
    As I recently discovered with my Magic Mouse.

Advertisement