Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotokan in Galway

Options
  • 07-12-2010 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a decent Shotokan Karate club in Galway city? I used to train with one in Renmore aound 10 or 12 years ago! I'm coming back from the UK for xmas in a week or so, I train regularly with a KUGB Shotokan club here. Was wondering if anyone knew of any clubs I could train in over the Christmas period (if there's training on of course!)?

Cheers
    C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a decent Shotokan Karate club in Galway city? I used to train with one in Renmore aound 10 or 12 years ago! I'm coming back from the UK for xmas in a week or so, I train regularly with a KUGB Shotokan club here. Was wondering if anyone knew of any clubs I could train in over the Christmas period (if there's training on of course!)?

Cheers
    C.

Hi C,

Try Greg Cotter in Shantalla,

St Josephs Community Centre, Shantalla, Galway
    Instructors Grey & Mary Cotter
    Contact galwayshotokan@gmail.com or 00353872790667

There are a few more.

I no longer train in Shotokan so I'm a little out of date with the status of the Shotokan clubs.

How long will you be in Galway?

Best of luck.

Damien

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A quick search gives me this last thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056012222

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

There are a few Shotokan Clubs in Galway that I know of:

Corrib Karate Club train in Days Hotel on Wednesday & Thursday evenings;
    Greg Cotter trains in Shantalla - think they are Galway Karate Club.
    John Ryan trains in Creaven House.
    Pat Kelly trains in Claregalway and Turloughmore.
    I believe the NUI Club do Shotokan also but not 100% sure on that

I assume you trained with Francis Murphy in Renmore. He's no longer training AFAIK. Neither is Colie Walsh who also trained out of Renmore for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Krillin77

Hi there!

I train in a shotokan club in Tuam, about 30 minutes north of galway. It was established in 1974 and I've been told it was the first Karate Club in Connaught. We have a blogspot @ http://tuamkarateclub.blogspot.com/ It's nothing fancy but we're slowly improving it! Training every Friday/Saturday/Sunday. We share the hall with a judo club so we're pretty well kitted out with mats etc. Anybody is welcome to train at any time, classes five euro pay as you go. :)

I'm open to correction on this, but it is my understanding that the university club did do shotokan, but now they do Patrick McCarthy's Koryu Uchinadi Okinawan stuff primarily.

All the best,
    OSU!

Advertisement