Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i have an IDEA!!

Options
  • 06-12-2010 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

hi,

i would like a bit of advice if you don't mind. i have had a few ideas on and off about iphone apps, but the last idea i've had is actually worth looking into. i think anyway! but what should i do next? i have no skills in regard to development of an app, but have planned the app's functionality. is this a pipe dream or not?

regards,

Edd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

duffsaw wrote: »
    is this a pipe dream or not?

It is unless you have the money to pay someone to develop it or the time (and aptitude) to learn how to develop it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

hi,

i would like a bit of advice if you don't mind. i have had a few ideas on and off about iphone apps, but the last idea i've had is actually worth looking into. i think anyway! but what should i do next? i have no skills in regard to development of an app, but have planned the app's functionality. is this a pipe dream or not?

regards,

Edd

You have to bring something to the table yourself, besides the idea. An idea on it's own isn't worth much (unless you possess unique knowledge/abilities to implement the project).

Is there a market for your app?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Why not try it yourself?

I am not a programmer (though, admittedly, I do have a background in IT, so it is not alien to me), but I have just downloaded the Apple SDK and am about to start on an app that I have an idea for.

So I plan to work through a few tutorials and maybe a book or two to see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

That's a great attitude Tom. Good look with your efforts!

conorcan2 wrote: »
    That's a great attitude Tom. Good look with your efforts!

I'm actually chuckling away to myself here.

In front of me I have the following:

Apple iPad
    MacBook Pro
    Laptop
    Samsung Galaxy Tab
    Nokia N900

and an iPhone on the way.

I'm hoping to develop cross-platform apps, so these are all for the job. But I don't know where to start. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You dont need that Samsung Galaxy Tab so I'll happily take it as a donation to my Android work! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

thanks for the replies !

but not to be too simplistic, is it not a time when there might be developers out there that might talk out the idea with me, and have a go together to see and make a go of it?
    i have the app planned out in terms of functionality as well as where this might go in the future, as this could not only cross platforms interms of phone types but also be developed later into software for other devices. maybe there are companies that do this and take their payment in terms of percentage of the profits?

as i said, maybe simplistic but this could be a hell of an opportunity if done professionally.

thanks anyway for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

maybe there are companies that do this and take their payment in terms of percentage of the profits?

Maybe there is, but certainly not many I'd say.

The problem with that approach is that the company developing it is taking all the risk. They could spend a lot of time and money developing the app, then if it fails they're screwed. At minimum I'd say you'd have to part pay for the development of the app up front, and have the developer accept a percentage of the profits for the remainder of the fee.

Have a poke around the Apple Media Devices forum.

There are a few developers there who might talk to you with a view to doing it on a part-time basis.

Alternatively, give me about 12 months and I'll see what I can do for you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

I develop for Windows Phone 7 and have no problem talking it out with you. I could provide an insight into the development side for you if you want. Don't worry I don't intend on robbing your idea, I have way to many of them myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

duffsaw, I sent you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

but not to be too simplistic, is it not a time when there might be developers out there that might talk out the idea with me, and have a go together to see and make a go of it?
    i have the app planned out in terms of functionality as well as where this might go in the future, as this could not only cross platforms interms of phone types but also be developed later into software for other devices. maybe there are companies that do this and take their payment in terms of percentage of the profits?
    It's simplistic and unrealistic. The mobile development industry is very healthy. Anyone who's not working is probably just not very good or very unlucky.

Secondly, an idea itself is worth nothing, no matter how good you think it is. In order to successfully build a professional app, even a very basic one, you're talking about a few weeks of work, possibly months. Right now, it's likely that you've only spent a few hours on it, so if someone was to do all the hard work, they'd need to get 99% of the profits in order for it to be equal. Also, most apps sell very little. Even successful ones. So, let's say you sold 5,000 at €1.50 - those are big numbers for the app store. You're talking abut €6000 or so after Apple/Google's cut. Therefore, even with a huge success like that, they money's not great. That's about 2/3 months wages for a developer or about 3/4 weeks work for a freelancer and those come without the risk. It's possible to get lucky, but it's certainly not a great deal for the developer.

If you think the idea is good enough, then there's a few things you could do to get the app built.

#1 Do a proper business plan.
    What number of sales you would need to make it worthwhile, comparison of sales to other apps in the marketplace, what's currently selling & making money. What revenue streams should you investigate.

#2 Do a rough project plan.
    How many days & how many team members would be needed to build and successfully launch the app.

#3 Research Competitors
    What competitors are there to your proposed app. Either direct competitors with similar ideas, or indirect one that are competing for your customers money.

#4 Get a loan
    Get a small loan that you can use to invest in the app. Anyone's who's "putting their money where their mouth is" will get taken a lot more seriously than another person with a "great idea". That money could be used to pay a developer a small amount, to cover ancillary costs such as hosting or to use for marketing the app.

If you do some/all of those things then I think you'll be in a much better position to evaluate the idea and you'll get a much better response from potential partners.

All the best.

Advertisement