Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I complain about a taxi driver??

Options
  • 06-12-2010 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey all,

So last friday I was meeting up with my boyfriend in town. I was running pretty late and got the luas in, got of at jervis. I walked to george's st. and thought what the hell I'll get a taxi the rest of the way, shouldn't be to much.
    I got in the taxi and said I wanted to go to Bernard Shaw. The taxi driver wasn't sure where that was, neither was I to be honest, I'd never been there but I'd google it beforehand so i knew it was near tripod, kinda. We got to tripod and the driver kept saying to me there's tripod, and I was like ye I hope its around here, near the canal on google. He asked a taxi driver next to us where it was and he didn't know either but said to try the bar near the canal, which turned out to be called The Barge.
    When we got there he pulled over and said that'll be €8.65. I told him that this isn't where I want to go, I didn't know where this place was. He said tht I was crazy, that the bar I wanted didn't exist, and I had to get out there. I said to him that I wasn't paying him anything until he took me where I wanted to go. This is where he got really angry. He said that he'd call the police and started shouting at me. He said that I'd changed my mind when I was in the taxi, that I told him I wanted to go to tripod but then suddenly wanted to go somewhere else. I said he could call the gaurds if he wanted, but that I'd told him when I got into the taxi that I wanted to go to the bernard Shaw bar, and that i thought it was near tripod, and that I wasn't gon2 pay him for taking me somewhere I didn't wan2 go to and I had no clue where I was. I then asked for his taxi number.
    I was in the back of the taxi, his info was in front of the front passenger seat and it was pretty hard to see. He got really angry then and moved around kinda violently and honestly I thought he was going to hit me. He screamed and told me that I was a prostitute and to get the hell out. I said I don't know where I am? He made to get out of his side of the cab so i got out and he drove off.
    I wasn't able to get his taxi number. I saw he had the yellow and red sheet with the term + conditions that taxi drivers normally have but I didn't see the one with his picture on it. I always check a taxi drivers name when I get into a taxi but I assumed that I just couldn't see it when I got in. I got his licence plate number when I got out of the cab tho.
    After I got out I went to the Barge and they said where I wanted to go was just down the canel, bout a 10min walk. My driver could have asked one of them and then there would have been no hassle.
    I want to make a compliant against him but do I need to have his taxi number? I also didn't pay for the fare or get a receipt? I was really annoyed that he called me a prostitute and that I was making up places but mainly that he wanted to throw me out. I would have had no problem paying him the fair if we'd gotten to the bar. Do you think I have a right to make compliant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Just in the door as you posted and a few comments...

I know the pub you refer to and it's not a pub people that many would know. If you didn't know where it is having checked it out (South Richmond Street; it used to be Bambricks :) ) you could have rang ahead in fairness or checked a little better; kinda near Tripod is kinda 50 other pubs :) and it's all he had to go on. The driver should not have finished off the fare until you were finished traveling; however if he had finally found the pub after running up €20+ would you have been as happy to pay up for a short trip?

On him leaving the car to ask, his insurance would be null and void had he left a fare unattended in the car so he should't be expected to do that.

As the law stands, you have technically broken it by not paying the fare on the meter. He is guilty of being rude for sure so there isn't harm in complaining, if only for peace of mind but expect little to come out of it given all the hassle it is for you.
    Hey all,

So last friday I was meeting up with my boyfriend in town. I was running pretty late and got the luas in, got of at jervis. I walked to george's st. and thought what the hell I'll get a taxi the rest of the way, shouldn't be to much.
    I got in the taxi and said I wanted to go to Bernard Shaw. The taxi driver wasn't sure where that was, neither was I to be honest, I'd never been there but I'd google it beforehand so i knew it was near tripod, kinda. We got to tripod and the driver kept saying to me there's tripod, and I was like ye I hope its around here, near the canal on google. He asked a taxi driver next to us where it was and he didn't know either but said to try the bar near the canal, which turned out to be called The Barge.
    When we got there he pulled over and said that'll be €8.65. I told him that this isn't where I want to go, I didn't know where this place was. He said tht I was crazy, that the bar I wanted didn't exist, and I had to get out there. I said to him that I wasn't paying him anything until he took me where I wanted to go. This is where he got really angry. He said that he'd call the police and started shouting at me. He said that I'd changed my mind when I was in the taxi, that I told him I wanted to go to tripod but then suddenly wanted to go somewhere else. I said he could call the gaurds if he wanted, but that I'd told him when I got into the taxi that I wanted to go to the bernard Shaw bar, and that i thought it was near tripod, and that I wasn't gon2 pay him for taking me somewhere I didn't wan2 go to and I had no clue where I was. I then asked for his taxi number.
    I was in the back of the taxi, his info was in front of the front passenger seat and it was pretty hard to see. He got really angry then and moved around kinda violently and honestly I thought he was going to hit me. He screamed and told me that I was a prostitute and to get the hell out. I said I don't know where I am? He made to get out of his side of the cab so i got out and he drove off.
    I wasn't able to get his taxi number. I saw he had the yellow and red sheet with the term + conditions that taxi drivers normally have but I didn't see the one with his picture on it. I always check a taxi drivers name when I get into a taxi but I assumed that I just couldn't see it when I got in. I got his licence plate number when I got out of the cab tho.
    After I got out I went to the Barge and they said where I wanted to go was just down the canel, bout a 10min walk. My driver could have asked one of them and then there would have been no hassle.
    I want to make a compliant against him but do I need to have his taxi number? I also didn't pay for the fare or get a receipt? I was really annoyed that he called me a prostitute and that I was making up places but mainly that he wanted to throw me out. I would have had no problem paying him the fair if we'd gotten to the bar. Do you think I have a right to make compliant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

He was well out of order for calling you that, but if you complain you have to remember its your word against his and he will simply deny it.

Look it move on,put it down to experience,if it was my daughter I would be furious that she was made to be so upset but at the same time I would still recognise there was not a lot I can do about it.

I know you must have been upset and the fact that you didnt even get a chance to pay him shows me that you had the moral authority here....he drove off because he knew he was being a pricck.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

The driver behaved disgracefully and you should report the incident. Passengers often get into taxis not knowing exactly where they're going but it's all in a days work to be helpful and resolve the situation without getting into stupid arguments and namecalling.

Your complaint probably won't be successful but the driver will have to be interviewed about it which won't be pleasant for him. It may even teach him a lesson about his future behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

To be honest as someone else said its your word against his .
    Taxi drivers are not expected to know ALL and EVERY pub in Dublin however i am surprisd that he didnt even know where Tripod was .I am assumeing he was'nt a dublin taxi driver ?
    Haveing said that he had no right to call you names or be rude towards you ,that was out of order .
    Secondly when you get into a taxi if you dont see hid ID on the dash (this shows the drivers name and badge number ) then leave the car and tell the driver that he is operating illegally as he must have his ID on display for passengers to see.
    Any driver who hasnt got this on display is either not licenced to work in Dublin (there are numerous drivers coming into Dublin at weekends despite not having a licence to work Dublin)or has something to hide .
    What you should have done was paid the fare and got a printed receipt off the driver.
    If you felt threatened YOU should have phoned the Gards yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Complain to the regulartor about this persons language and demeanor but i would also make a statement to the Guards about how he threatened you in the car and how you felt he was going to hit you! you have the registration and a description of the driver and that should be more than enough to identify the car and driver!

• Advertisement

@OP Just re read your podt again ,you said u were meeting your boyfriend .Can i ask if your boyfriend was in the Bernard Shaw or was going there,why didnt you phone him and ask him for the exact location ?

@Foggy lad I would very much doubt if the Taxi Regulator will be of any
    benefit to the OP.

oisindoyle wrote: »
    @OP Just re read your podt again ,you said u were meeting your boyfriend .Can i ask if your boyfriend was in the Bernard Shaw or was going there,why didnt you phone him and ask him for the exact location ?

@Foggy lad I would very much doubt if the Taxi Regulator will be of any
    benefit to the OP.
    the regulator may be of little use but i would register the complaint anyway and i feel the Guards will be more interested in the threatening behaviour and offensive language of this particular scumbag.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the regulator may be of little use but i would register the complaint anyway

So your advice is to lodge a complaint knowing full well it will come to naught.
    and i feel the Guards will be more interested in the threatening behaviour and offensive language of this particular scumbag.

The Gardaí won't be one bit interested unless a crime is committed and there is some evidence to follow up and act upon. You'd have more luck suing for slander and that's a no hoper as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 philkelly32

I would defo complain to guards and taxi regulator my wife had a situtaion (a bit more violent... i wasnt there, other people just stood there looking at it) guards were adamant for wife to make statement as according to the guard there was a number of incidents involving some taxi drivers and violence(could have been unregulated never heard outcome)

taxi regulator may take view of your word against his and he will of course deny it but like previously posted will be brought in for interview

Yes indeed complain to the regulators so they can at least compile a database of complaints against drivers from which they may be able to act upon at some later date
    So your advice is to lodge a complaint knowing full well it will come to naught.

The Gardaí won't be one bit interested unless a crime is committed and there is some evidence to follow up and act upon. You'd have more luck suing for slander and that's a no hoper as well.

I would most definitely complain and make a statement to the guards as they can take more definite action as you were threatened and abused by this driver who may or may not be legally on the road!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Whatever making a complaint achieves is questionable

Not making a complaint achieves nothing.

At least with the reg. no the regulator will know the owner of the plate (may not be the driver) and it will be on record

Yes indeed complain to the regulators so they can at least compile a database of complaints against drivers from which they may be able to act upon at some later date

Which suggests that they compile a list to maybe do something that may or may not have happened ages after the event. Either you lodge a complaint and expect it to be dealt with it ASAP or don't waste their and your time.
    I would most definitely complain and make a statement to the guards as they can take more definite action as you were threatened and abused by this driver who may or may not be legally on the road!

Again, unless a law has been broken the Gardaí won't be listening and they won't take statements unless they have need to.

Which suggests that they compile a list to maybe do something that may or may not have happened ages after the event. Either you lodge a complaint and expect it to be dealt with it ASAP or don't waste their and your time.

Again, unless a law has been broken the Gardaí won't be listening and they won't take statements unless they have need to.
    Public order offences includes threatening and or abusive behaviour and lewd behaviour and several other charges which could be directed against this particular menace.

as for the regulator they can investigate immediately and may do nothing about this menace but at least they will hhave the incident on file and may look less favourably on future complaints about the same driver.

decent people will not put up with drivers like this and will take all action necessary rather than trying to belittle the incident by saying nothing will come of any complaints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

I'm glad somebody touched on this aspect of the event. If the taxi driver behaved in the way described, then he really shouldn't be on the road in a taxi. However, communication is a great gift that we sometimes neglect to the detriment of ourselves.

The OP should have prepared a little better and not expected a taxi driver to know where a specific pub is. (unless its a very well known pub.) The OP could have phoned her boyfriend or alternatively phoned directory enquiries for the pubs number and got its location that way. Similarly the taxi driver could have saved an awful lot of hassle by suggesting this to the OP or just doing it himself. It was easily solvable with a bit of simple communication from both sides instead of the neanderthal stuff described.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'd say the taxi driver behaved inappropiately in dealing with a situation, and should be reported.

Public order offences includes threatening and or abusive behaviour and lewd behaviour and several other charges which could be directed against this particular menace.

And can you and your extensive legal experience tell us what laws have been broken in shouting at somebody? You do know what lewd behavior is, don't you :rolleyes:
    as for the regulator they can investigate immediately and may do nothing about this menace but at least they will hhave the incident on file and may look less favourably on future complaints about the same driver.

decent people will not put up with drivers like this and will take all action necessary rather than trying to belittle the incident by saying nothing will come of any complaints!

Unlike you, I'm speaking from experience here. I used to work in this trade and I've dealt with the Regulator's office both as a driver and for enquiries and the amount of BS for even menial and simple enquiries is mammoth. I've spoken to passengers who have complained and given up due to the amount of rigmarole and form filling they have gone through. In short, it's a waste of time given the results.

By the way, if the Regulator was to refer to unproven complaints in any light then it's whole administration of any complaints is tainted as it is had no innocence vested in any one case as per the legal system uses.

And can you and your extensive legal experience tell us what laws have been broken in shouting at somebody? You do know what lewd behavior is, don't you :rolleyes:

Would you not consider calling a woman a prostitute as abusive and threatening especially if you have just turned around from the front seat of a car as if to hit the woman?

As for the laws possibly broken try these

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0002/sec0006.html#zza2y1994s6

and

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0002/sec0017.html

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

if it happens again o.p. just request the taxi driver to bring you to the nearest garda station and let them sort it out. going through the regulator would be a waste of time. if he was really that wound up chances are he'd still be the same by the time you arrive at the guards. and if it turns really nasty diall 999 on ur mobile.i'd assume all calls are recorded.

Would you not consider calling a woman a prostitute as abusive and threatening especially if you have just turned around from the front seat of a car as if to hit the woman?

Rude yes, abusive perhaps but illegal? Nah.

Your first link covers Threatening and Abusive Behavior in a Public Place; this isn't relevant here as it's a private conversation between two people who entered into a contract, even if it is in a public place. Your second covers blackmail and extortion which shows how much you know about this all :rolleyes:

Rude yes, abusive perhaps but illegal? Nah.

Your first link covers Threatening and Abusive Behavior in a Public Place; this isn't relevant here as it's a private conversation between two people who entered into a contract, even if it is in a public place. Your second covers blackmail and extortion which shows how much you know about this all :rolleyes:
    If you check it out a taxi is considered a public place for the purposes of the legislation and demanding money with menaces covers the driver demanding payment for a service not provided as the op was not brought to the destination and the manner in which the driver dealt with the whole situation sounds menacing.
    ( a ) a demand with menaces shall be unwarranted unless the person making it does so in the belief—
    [GA]

(i) that he has reasonable grounds for making the demand, and
    [GA]

(ii) that the use of the menaces is a proper means of reinforcing the demand;
    the driver may have had reasonable grounds but the use of menaces(threatening behaviour and abusive language) is not the proper way to reinforce this demand

• Advertisement

If you check it out a taxi is considered a public place for the purposes of the legislation and demanding money with menaces covers the driver demanding payment for a service not provided as the op was not brought to the destination and the manner in which the driver dealt with the whole situation sounds menacing.

Which I referred to; my bad if you can't read it correctly :rolleyes:
    the driver may have had reasonable grounds but the use of menaces(threatening behaviour and abusive language) is not the proper way to reinforce this demand

That isn't anything like what the OP said but it's useless pointing this out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can make a compalint, but realise that it will go nowhere as you have no details of the driver.
    I'd google it beforehand so i knew it was near tripod, kinda.
    Sorry, but "navigation by pub" is fairly uniquely Dublin thing, many people wouldn't know what you were on about.

Many cities have come up with a scheme called "navigation by street name". Now again this is complicated (Dublin has 4 Liffey Streets), but once you are in the general neighbourhood you are generally OK. It all started to go wrong when you mentioned it was near Tripod. There are probably 15 bars and pubs within 450m of Tripod.

This is the route you took: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Harcourt+St&daddr=Charlemont+St&hl=en&geocode=FeHOLQMdW2-g_w%3BFaXCLQMdc3mg_w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&dirflg=w&sll=53.33341,-6.261477&sspn=0.006561,0.017982&ie=UTF8&ll=53.332769,-6.262507&spn=0.006561,0.017982&z=15

This is the route you should have taken: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Harcourt+St&daddr=Richmond+St+S&hl=en&geocode=FeHOLQMdW2-g_w%3BFdTGLQMdr2ig_w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=15&dirflg=w&sll=53.33341,-6.263445&sspn=0.006561,0.017982&ie=UTF8&z=15

For reference, all buses on South Great Georges Street go past Tripod, but some go via South Richmond Street, the rest South Circular Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

He said tht I was crazy, that the bar I wanted didn't exist, and I had to get out there. I said to him that I wasn't paying him anything until he took me where I wanted to go. This is where he got really angry. He said that he'd call the police and started shouting at me. He said that I'd changed my mind when I was in the taxi, that I told him I wanted to go to tripod but then suddenly wanted to go somewhere else. I said he could call the gaurds if he wanted, but that I'd told him when I got into the taxi that I wanted to go to the bernard Shaw bar, and that i thought it was near tripod, and that I wasn't gon2 pay him for taking me somewhere I didn't wan2 go to and I had no clue where I was. I then asked for his taxi number.
    firstly o.p. the taxi driver had no right to abuse you like that. theres banter here about rules and regulations.he's a professional driver. you got his number and thats good. report him. once you make a complaint to the guards they have to follow it up. even if nothing comes of it the fact that the guards would have to talk to him about it should be enough to deter him from abusing another passenger again.also i'm sure the guards would take a different view to what alot of posters are saying here. that is they'd take this very seriously.
    I then asked for his taxi number.
    o.p. what was his reaction when you asked for his number, did he refuse to give it, change to conversation etc?
    thank god i dont use taxi's but if that happened to me i'd be going straight to the nearest garda station also i'd make damn sure he would'nt drive a taxi again.
    now if taxi drivers want to have a go at me fair enough but what happened here disgusts me. this woman was no threat to the taxi driver. she was going to a pub which she didn't know where the location was. she didn't abuse him or threaten him, she didn't pay him till she got to her destination and in this case she didn't get what she asked for. if he didn't know where he was going he should'nt be driving a taxi. again it goes back to the exam.
    report him and follow it through o.p.

A s was said in previous posts .Taxi drivers cannot know every pub in dublin and the taxi test/exam doesnt require it either.
    No one is denying the behaviour of the driver was unacceptable .
    As was said also ,reporting it is futile since its his word against hers ,plus from experience reporting it to the taxi regulators office is a waste of time .Basically the amount of paperwork and nonsense involved makes it not worth the hassle .
    Its interesting to see that the OP hasnt responded to any questions put to her by members here .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

A s was said in previous posts .Taxi drivers cannot know every pub in dublin and the taxi test/exam doesnt require it either.

Surely though if someone gets in a taxi and says "I want to go to x, I think it's near y" and the driver's never heard of x and doesn't have the foggiest notion where it is, he shuold tell the passenger that straight out?

At least then they can try another taxi which might know.

Instead of taking them for the sake of getting a fare, verbally abusing them, and insisting on dumping them possibly a fair distance from their destination?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote: »
    "navigation by pub" is fairly uniquely Dublin thing, many people wouldn't know what you were on about.

Many cities have come up with a scheme called "navigation by street name".
    LOL

Was in a taxi in the UK, Asian driver hadn't a clue where the church was, when he contacted base they told him it was opposite an Indian take-away.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I agree with most of the replies. He reacted badly but it was unfair to expect him to know where the pub was. If going to a pub I always ask for the pub first and back it up with a street name.

He should be reported but it's totally pointless without his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Sorry to dig this thread up from the dead but just looking for advice as to a similar situation I found myself in at lunch time today.

Was looking for a taxi at the bottom of Grafton St and naturally went to the top of the taxi rank by Molly Malone. Tried to get the attention of the first driver, a Dub, saying "Howiya mate(or boy, pretty sure I said mate)". Got into the car with my bag of clothes, place it on the seat and driver barks "Put the bag on the floor". So I oblige and ask him to bring him to near my destination (didn't want him to bring me to my door, had a feeling this wasn't going to be the most pleasant of journeys).

Sitting in silence as conversation wasn't exactly forthcoming, I take a look at the meter and spot he's added on an 'Extra' of €1, which slightly bemused me as I was travelling alone and hadn't booked the taxi. I kept my mouth shut as I assumed it might have been done in error, but jotted down the details of his registration coyly on my phone.

So we arrive at our destination and he again barks the fare, including the added €1 for the trivial 'Extra'. I'm not broke or a tight wad by an stretch of the imagination but felt it only right to ask politely what the €1 extra was for. He reduces the fare by the €1. I hand over a €20 which is snapped out of my hand and he then states "The next time you get into my car, I warn you not to be so cheeky or I'll kick the sh1te out of you, you're lucky I didn't. Any person who calls me boy or mate, I'll kick the sh1te out of them". I'm pretty stunned by the outburst, and feeling relatively threatened by the verbal abuse, and probably should have just got out. But I stayed momentarily and apologised for my colloquialisms explaining that I'm clearly not from Dublin and that saying "mate/boy" was a force of habit. The apology was in vain, and he goes off an a rant saying "How would you feel if I got into your taxi and started calling you farmer?! You wouldn't like that would you ya culchie?!" I just apologise again and get out with my change in hand.

Not sure if this would merit a complaint as I wasn't physically assaulted but feel strongly about his demeanour and that he should receive some form of warning or advise on pleasantries from the Regulator?

Any advice would be appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Did you get a receipt with the phantom extra marked on it? Taxidrivers aren't allowed to charge luggage as extras any more, I suspect he was chancing his arm until you pulled him up on it.

In any case, I would still make a complaint on account of his attitude. There's a good chance nothing will happen if you do, but there's a 100% chance nothing will happen if you don't.

• Advertisement

Make a complaint and something might be done about this awful driver, he sounds like a right thug!

Advertisement