Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I turn off rads in this sever cold snap?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

primarily, can I turn off a number of rooms in this severe cold snap and only heat a handful of rooms? Reason being my burner has just drank 100L in 10-11 days. I know because I filled 5 drums into it...

I had the heat on for about one notch every hour on average and was concerned about the pipes freezing in unused rooms moreso than being able to walk around an airy house. I'd love to only run 3 rads, not all 7 if possible.

I think the burner might need more insulation. Also, the pipe that brings the hot water into the house is clearly not insulated well / at all as it was fit to melt the snow for around 12 inches wide from boiler to house (3 yards). Can't believe that was not better insulated when being laid. Is that normal in Celtic Tiger houses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I'd guess that you are losing as much heat between the boiler & the house as you are in keeping the extra rads on.

You need to dig that up & insulate the Bejay*us out of it.

In the short term just leave unwanted rads on about a quarter turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

FoxT wrote: »
    I'd guess that you are losing as much heat between the boiler & the house as you are in keeping the extra rads on.

You need to dig that up & insulate the Bejay*us out of it.

In the short term just leave unwanted rads on about a quarter turn.

Thanks FoxT, appreciate it. Thought it looked so dodge when I saw it

Advertisement