Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incomplete Degree! Primary Teaching!

Options
  • 06-12-2010 5:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32

Hi Guys,

Im in my final year of a 4 year course, doing a course in Accountancy & Finance in UL, which I now really dont like.

I have always been interested in becoming a Primary School teacher and regret majorly for not picking it over this current degree.

I know there is a post graduate Diploma in Primary Education, which is ideal.
    But, it seems to be very difficult to get into and Im afraid I wont get 2:1 degree that I think is required.

So, I would gladly do the 3 year course as a mature student, but Im not sure if I could afford the fees.

My question is.

What if I dont finish my current degree, and enter Primary Education as a mature student, Will I still have to pay fees?? Given that I wouldnt have completed my degree so therefore dont actually hold a completed degree??

Ive been trying to get answers from everywhere, so hope someone can help!!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

DJL292 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Im in my final year of a 4 year course, doing a course in Accountancy & Finance in UL, which I now really dont like.

I have always been interested in becoming a Primary School teacher and regret majorly for not picking it over this current degree.

I know there is a post graduate Diploma in Primary Education, which is ideal.
    But, it seems to be very difficult to get into and Im afraid I wont get 2:1 degree that I think is required.

So, I would gladly do the 3 year course as a mature student, but Im not sure if I could afford the fees.

My question is.

What if I dont finish my current degree, and enter Primary Education as a mature student, Will I still have to pay fees?? Given that I wouldnt have completed my degree so therefore dont actually hold a completed degree??

Ive been trying to get answers from everywhere, so hope someone can help!!

Thanks.

The criteria for paying fees is not if you have completed a degree or not. In a nutshell, you are entitled to four free years of college. If you do a course for 3 1/2 years and then drop out, Any subsequent re-entry to college will mean you are required to pay fees for 3 1/2 years out of a four year degree or in your course, pay full fees for 3 years.

I would suggest posting your possible scenario as a question in the education officer thread located here

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭NeirBot

I think what the Townie said is spot on, except the only thing i'd add is that if you don't hold a degree qualification AND have been out of full time education for 5 years, you are considered a "second chance" student and again qualify for full free fees.
    I started back as a mature student this year, did 2 years in UL over 5 years ago, and thought that i would have to pay 2 years of fees, but as i didn't obtain any qualification and was out of education for over 5 years i didn't have to pay any fees. I know 5 years is a long time to wait but you should find out all you can now rather than when your finished and it might be too late for whatever you decide.
    And i would definitely go talk to the education officer, she would be able to point you in the right direction to find out what you need to know.
    Hope this helps.

Advertisement