Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lapwing (was- Identify this bird?)

Options
  • 06-12-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

We live near Brittas Bay in Wicklow and in the last two to three weeks we've noticed an influx of what I assume is a kind of sea bird.
    They have a dark feather rising from their head, a dark upper body and white under their wings. They're about the size of a pigeon but not as fat.

I'd love to know where they have come from. :)

[EDIT] It could possibly be a Lapwing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Lapwing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

It could possibly be a Lapwing

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Unusually for recent years I've seen a few fly over during past couple weeks. I've always had a particular fondness for them, especially after seeing their broken wing trick to lure predators away from nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

There's a good amount of them around our estate in Blainroe.
    They mustn't see many cars, because twice today I've driven out of the estate and had one run right up to the front wheel unafraid. I actually had to swerve away from them.

Lovely birds.

Advertisement