Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing in Software Development

Options
  • 06-12-2010 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Was just wondering can anyone give me an insight into this course? THANKS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Very good course to do, especially if you want good job prospects and to earn lots of money.
    It is interesting and challenging if you like math and problem solving

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Do something because you like it, the money will be a bonus...no point doing something your not fully committed to

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

I am very interested in doing this course and have been dying to get into software development for years, only problem i have is mortgage and need to hold on to my job. What kind of hours must you do in this course is it 9-6 everyday or could i manage to hold down a evening job while doing the course during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

I am very interested in doing this course and have been dying to get into software development for years, only problem i have is mortgage and need to hold on to my job. What kind of hours must you do in this course is it 9-6 everyday or could i manage to hold down a evening job while doing the course during the day?

I'm not a hundred percent sure but when I was in first year it was around 5 or 6 hours a day. You would definitely be able to hold down an evening job and make it in all the time. Also if you tell the course head about your situation they will give you some leeway and extra help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Take a look at what the open university are offering as an alternate to the traditional college offering, there courses are excellent and fit in with keeping bread on the table at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Take a look at what the open university are offering as an alternate to the traditional college offering, there courses are excellent and fit in with keeping bread on the table at the same time

I am doing open university myself, for programming they mainly cover Java. Someone posted there is loads of money . There is not loads of money in IT, if you want to earn a very good salary become a doctor, GP etc. Some people do very well in IT but overall not as high as other professions

As a graduate expect to start at about 25,000

There was a thread of someone looking for an IT person on a salary of 35,000 with a good skills set

I have posted info on M364 and M366 student exam results. M364 had a failure rate this year of 24%. If you study by distance education expect to have to put in some serious time and it takes years - literally

DCU also offer a part time course

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bazza1love

Hi,
    I am currently mid way through the software development course in GMIT galway.
    In answer to your question there are approx 24-26 hrs a week with a half day on friday and a couple of long days. Doing an evening job would be possible but in my opinion it would be hard as there is a heavy workload at times.
    The main programming language is Java, other languages done to a lesser degree are visual basic(VB), linux, 'c'. there is also some website design(expression web) some SQL and some maths(matrices, probablilty, binomial, quadratics).

Hope this helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

bazza1love wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am currently mid way through the software development course in GMIT galway.
    In answer to your question there are approx 24-26 hrs a week with a half day on friday and a couple of long days. Doing an evening job would be possible but in my opinion it would be hard as there is a heavy workload at times.
    The main programming language is Java, other languages done to a lesser degree are visual basic(VB), linux, 'c'. there is also some website design(expression web) some SQL and some maths(matrices, probablilty, binomial, quadratics).

Hope this helps...

I presume you mean mid way through first year because these are first year subjects you are talking about.

Skyuser wrote: »
    I presume you mean mid way through first year because these are first year subjects you are talking about.

Sorry i should have been clearer, i'm actually second year.

A couple of subjects i didn't mention for first year are e-business administration, learning-to-learn.
    'c' and sql are second year along with systems analysis, data structures and algorithms, mobile development(android), networking, business communications, database management and internet applications.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Milanmio

i got offered software development/level8 Athlone and soft dev/7 in Galway
    and have absolutely no idea where to go :)cos both courses seem to have
    similar modules. I know Galway might be fun...
    Anyone here that can compare these two(know students at other college)
    heeeeeeeeeeeelp:)thanks

• Advertisement

HI Milanmio,
    can you post the content for the Athlone course especially what programming languages are included in the course, The Galway courses' main programming language is for Java which there are plenty of job s for also there is an Android module, there seems to be a lot of employers seeking Android developers.
    Ps. the Galway course is 3 years with a fourth year option(level 8)

Hope this helps!

Hi Bazza1love
    its this course http://www.ait.ie/engineering/deptofelectronicscomputersoftwareeng/courses/caocourses/bschonsinsoftwaredesignwebdevelopment/
    so it looks like java and c# for both courses,
    are you currently on course at GMIT? is there a work placement cos I think thats the biggest difference , in athlone 3th semester you do half a year work placement
    and I hope jobs will be still there in 3 years time:)

and thanks for reply:)

bazza1love wrote: »
    HI Milanmio,
    can you post the content for the Athlone course especially what programming languages are included in the course, The Galway courses' main programming language is for Java which there are plenty of job s for also there is an Android module, there seems to be a lot of employers seeking Android developers.
    Ps. the Galway course is 3 years with a fourth year option(level 8)

Hope this helps!
    hi bazza1love
    sorry to bother you again, but can you tell me how much is there
    of e-business administration and business communications and stuff like
    that over technical modules?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pat.folan

hoff1 wrote: »
    Was just wondering can anyone give me an insight into this course? THANKS

I heard that last year's entire graduating class all got jobs immediately. Not many courses can say that in this economic climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭jimmyjoe951

Thinking of doing this course next year, have huge interest in computers and love learning anything associated with them. Just wondering, what is the maths like in this course ? Im in ol for LC and id say im on track for a high C maybe low B, would i struggle with this course ? Anything else noticeably difficult about this course ? Also if i was doing this course, is there anything I could do during summer , (online mainly) that i could look up, practice, become more informed on , before going into the course that would benefit me ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

Thinking of doing this course next year, have huge interest in computers and love learning anything associated with them. Just wondering, what is the maths like in this course ? Im in ol for LC and id say im on track for a high C maybe low B, would i struggle with this course ? Anything else noticeably difficult about this course ? Also if i was doing this course, is there anything I could do during summer , (online mainly) that i could look up, practice, become more informed on , before going into the course that would benefit me ?

The maths is fine in the course, the lecturer is excellent and if you go to the lectures you shouldn't have a problem. I did ol maths in leaving cert 10 years ago and like you I was a bit concerned about my ability but having just finished first year I think it is up there as one of my best subjects.

In terms of online resources, looking at any programming tutorials would be beneficial to get you thinking logically and become familiar with things like loops etc. The languages studied in first year are Java, HTML and C# with the main emphasis on Java. Something like the Java tutorials on thenewboston.com might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭jimmyjoe951

Thanks a million for the reply :), seriously considering this course now ! Its either this or information systems management, mainly because I like business aswell. Will be a tough choice. thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dairenichat

Anyone else out there with more info on the course? Is it better than the NUIG computer science course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

Anyone else out there with more info on the course? Is it better than the NUIG computer science course?

What info are you looking for specifically? I'm going into 3rd year so I can try and answer your questions.

I don't know what the NUIG course is like and I would be wary about getting opinions about which is "better" as you're likely to have GMIT people be a little biased :) I know it takes longer for the course in NUIG to get very hands-on where as we dove straight into the practical stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,703 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've applied for a Springboard version of what I think is this course
    http://www.gmit.ie/software-development/higher-diploma-science-computing-ictskills
    Anyone any ideas of what the job prospects would be like upon finishing? It seems there's an internship part to the course, that has to be helpful in getting the foot in the door I'd imagine.

Advertisement