Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Waits fans - recommend songs!

Options
  • 06-12-2010 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I only discovered Tom Waits about a year or two ago, but I'm not a fan of all of his songs! The ones I like tend to be his softer ballads, usually with just him on the piano or guitar. A few examples:

Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis
    Kentucky Avenue
    On the Nickel
    Time
    Jersey Boys

He's got a rather huge catalogue, so rather than digging through them all :p, I figure I'd just ask fans for suggestions of his songs that are in a similar vein. I find that I can take or leave some of his jazzier tunes, and some are just a bit nuts altogether :D But he has some serious talent as a songwriter!

Cheers folks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just reading through some other threads on Tom, and the consensus seems to be that the crazy sh*t is harder to get into, but once you do you don't look back :D Well I'll get a few albums when I'm back in Ireland -- for the time being the soft stuff is what I'm after! I'm a p*ssy, I know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dave! wrote: »
    Just reading through some other threads on Tom, and the consensus seems to be that the crazy sh*t is harder to get into, but once you do you don't look back :D Well I'll get a few albums when I'm back in Ireland -- for the time being the soft stuff is what I'm after! I'm a p*ssy, I know :D

I actually find it hard to listen to some of the early stuff now. It's all a little too schmaltzy for my taste. website where you can stream a couple of songs from each album.
    If you want an easy introduction, I reckon you start at the beginning (Closing time) and work your way up. But you can't beat Rain Dogs and his most recent stuff, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

If you want something in between the two extremes of barroom crooner and junkyard symphony try 'Mule Variations' (the album - in its entirety). Me? - I like them all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Closing Time, I don't want to grow up and Step Right Up or some of my favourite songs of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

This is a cracking little Tom Waits song; Jockey Full of Bourbon, but sung by Youn Sun Nah. Better than the original I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 kingofpain

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

I suggest you get a hold of The Early Years Vol I and II

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

All good suggestions so far - Mule Variations is actually my favourite of his. His voice can be a bit "a drunk singing the american national anthem" (does that make sense??) for me at times, but I still love The Heart of Saturday Night. Real Gone is great if you want a bit of musical mayhem - God's Away On Business is a seriously good track.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kingofpain

Most of Orphans disc 2

also mostly limited to the softer ballads, through the rambling noisy stuff does have its charm (in smaller portions)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I'm surprised "Tom Trauberts Blues: Three sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen" hasn't been mentioned. Make sure you YouTube the Old Grey Whistle test version.

Also:
    Fallin' Down
    Bottom of the world.

The whole Rain dogs album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Wildebrian

Rain Dogs Rain Dogs and More Rain Dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 spongehaed

"All the world is green" off Blood money is brilliant, and yeah like others have said everything off raindogs. Give his cookie-monster stuff a chance and you'll never go back to "I hope I don't fall in love with you"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Hold on
    Going out West
    Phantom 309
    Downtown Train

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Nighthawks at the Diner.

Just treat the whole album as one song.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Swordfishtrombone was my introduction to Tom.
    Still one of my favourite albums of all time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

Ice-Cream Man is one of my favourite Tom Waits songs. Slow intro and then it gets quite jazzy. So worth listening to.
    Afte that, Dead and Lovely, very morose but fabulous lyrics.
    How's It Gonna End is another softer ballad of his.
    There's also Diamonds & Gold, Jockey Full of Bourbon, Gun Street Girl.

I love his ballads. Then again, I really suggest giving Everything Goes to Hell Anyway a listen, and actually the entirety of Blood Money because Tom Waits has a few different styles. He's got kinda jazzy songs like Ice-Cream Man, a whole different style in Blood Money -my favourite album- he's got his ballads which are great and then the insane stuff like the Alice album and Big in Japan which is harder to get into (imo).
    My point there, long-winded though it was, is that you should try out a few songs from all of his styles because you'd probably like way more than just the ballads.

Anyway. Back to the playlist.
    Ol' 55, I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You, Burma Shave, Barber Shop, Hold On and Fannin Street.

And give Blood Money a listen to because Tom Waits is such a talented songwriter and Everything Goes To Hell and Misery of the World are such wonderfully cynically poetic songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 8826markb

Am a songwriter myself & thoroughly recommend the following Tom Waits albums:

Closing Time

Heart of Saturday Night

Small Change

Asylum Years

Heartattack & Vine

Oh & my stuff too @ http://www.reverbnation.com/mgctm1 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

8826markb wrote: »
    Am a songwriter myself & thoroughly recommend the following Tom Waits albums:

Closing Time

Heart of Saturday Night

Small Change

Asylum Years

Heartattack & Vine

Oh & my stuff too @ http://www.reverbnation.com/mgctm1 :cool:

Hi Mark,
    Your recommends on Tom Waits are spot on and your own material is worth a listen.
    Well Done!
    Sean Brophy www.dublincityfm.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Gosh I love most of Waits' stuff...Rain Dogs and Blue Valentines are probably my favourite albums - Tango Til They're Sore up there as one of my absolute favourite songs full stop - and I really love his schmaltzy old stuff, but the wackier stuff has some absolute gems as well, I haven't listened to Orpahans...in a while, but one that sticks in my head from it is Lucinda, I loved that...must go back for another listen now, can't believe how long it's been!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Orphans is essential if you're into Tom Waits, especially the Bawlers disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 N.G.P

Advertisement