Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird boxes - wireless?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody could recommend a good value supplier of bird boxes, preferably fitted with a wireless camera system. I don't mind buying the camera and box separate either if that would be more cost effective.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

http://www.handykam.com/

This crowd do very good quality stuff but their prices were a bit high, I haven't checked their prices lately but they may be better value now that there is a lot more competition out there.

There is a lot of info on their website. They don't really recommend wireless if you are in a built up area as there is too much interference from other electronic devices.

If you do go wirelss, buy a good one. I bought a cheapie of the internet and the signal couldn't get through a pane of glass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

http://www.handykam.com/

This crowd do very good quality stuff but their prices were a bit high, I haven't checked their prices lately but they may be better value now that there is a lot more competition out there.

There is a lot of info on their website. They don't really recommend wireless if you are in a built up area as there is too much interference from other electronic devices.

If you do go wirelss, buy a good one. I bought a cheapie of the internet and the signal couldn't get through a pane of glass!
    Hi Half -cocked. Talking about bird boxes. (I'm NOT looking/talking about one with a camera installed) I'm looking for regular blue tit box. I would like to know, is it too late now to put one up? If it's not too late, must it be hung on a certain compass axis: IE: south east facing? I think Woodies DIY have 'em for €14 which isn't too bad. PS: i just might make my own,as it would be a bit of craic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

sables2 wrote: »
    Hi Half -cocked. Talking about bird boxes. (I'm NOT looking/talking about one with a camera installed) I'm looking for regular blue tit box. I would like to know, is it too late now to put one up? If it's not too late, must it be hung on a certain compass axis: IE: south east facing? I think Woodies DIY have 'em for €14 which isn't too bad. PS: i just might make my own,as it would be a bit of craic :p

No expert on them, but I think you have plenty of time at the moment, but the sooner you put them up the better as the birds will be more familiar with them when they start to look for their nesting sites in Spring.

There is a lad on donedeal selling them for €9 I think, but as you said making them yourself would be handy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    No expert on them, but I think you have plenty of time at the moment, but the sooner you put them up the better as the birds will be more familiar with them when they start to look for their nesting sites in Spring.

There is a lad on donedeal selling them for €9 I think, but as you said making them yourself would be handy enough.
    Hi there,
    Thanks for that info. I'm 'gonna try DoneDeal.ie. Sounds a good deal €9. I'll 'gonna put one up asap. As i want to see the birds up close and personal to see their movements, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Bump - related to another thread.

Here's some good stuff from last season on the subject of nestboxes with cameras. Wired is the way to go it would appear.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65062463&postcount=24

I'm getting mine back in operation this week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement