Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router settings - best for SSF4?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 10:47am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My connection for online SSF4 has taken a massive turn over the last fortnight, and it's driving me up the wall.

Note that I refer to only SSF4, because when I play Call of Duty: Black Ops or Halo online, I have absolutely no problems. I upgraded my broadband a few days back but it hasn't improved the situation at all.

Before the problem, it was almost always a case of either I can connect perfectly with 3 bars or I cannot connect at all.

Now it seems when I play most Irish players, our first game is 2 yellow bars and all subsequent games are zero bars.

UK? USA? France? Germany? Italy? Spain? No problem-3 perfect green bars with no lag.

Anyhow, given the fact that it seems to only affect SSF4, I was wondering if people could tell me how their routers are set up. I currently have my XBOX wired to a Belkin N+ router. The XBox is on the DMZ. On the virtual servers port, the ports that are open are TCP 80, UDP 88, UDP 3074, TCP 3074, UDP 53, TCP 53.

These seem to be the best for XBox live, but not for SSF4.

Mods, I could have posted on the Xbox forum but I'd like answers specifically from SSF4 players.

Thanks all.

FG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SSFIV runs at 60fps; your shooters run at 25-30fps.

IIRC this is why they can mask lag better.

As all games go through XBL, it's probably a server or ISP issue.

That said -- we have 2-3 boardsies who actually work for XBL, so let's see what they have to say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The 360 doesn't cause lag by itself. As long as the ports are open and you can connect to XBL without any NAT errors when you run the connection test, then the lag is either ISP or game related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    SSFIV runs at 60fps; your shooters run at 25-30fps.

IIRC this is why they can mask lag better.

As all games go through XBL, it's probably a server or ISP issue.

That said -- we have 2-3 boardsies who actually work for XBL, so let's see what they have to say :D

Cod actually runs at 60 fps.

Maybe its not your connection at fault? Could be the people your playing or someone is using the net while you are playing? Sf4 runs like crap if anyone is using the net on the same connection. You can get around it by using qos on router if it has that feature. You can set it up for your xbox to hog the connection. Thats what i do when im playing.
    The nat type or ports have nothing to do with lag, that just makes connectiong to people in the first place easier.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

bush wrote: »
    Cod actually runs at 60 fps.

Maybe its not your connection at fault? Could be the people your playing or someone is using the net while you are playing? Sf4 runs like crap if anyone is using the net on the same connection. You can get around it by using qos on router if it has that feature. You can set it up for your xbox to hog the connection. Thats what i do when im playing.
    The nat type or ports have nothing to do with lag, that just makes connectiong to people in the first place easier.

When I play online, no one else is ever on the internet so I can rule that out. Could by upload speed have anything to do with it? Sorry if it's a stupid questiion, but I'm clueless when it comes to these things :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I think even the lowest broadband packages in Ireland have enough upload speed to play online. Its more to do with the quality of the connection. You could try doing a pingtest at times when you get a laggy connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I assume you are not on wireless?

I have had issues connecting to certain games with some of my friends, due to a conflict with both our ISP's.

The main culprit was GTA4 on the pc. 4 of us went to play online together but I would get kicked from the server when a specific friend of mine tried to join. And if I tried to join back, he would then get kicked.

The next day we went to play and it was fine and then the same thing started to happen for 2 of my other friends.

I sometimes wonder where the irish connections are routed to eachother and if theres some problems with those exchanges or whatever.

I remember years ago back when I played in a BF2 clan, Eircom had some **** up somewhere and they routed my connection totally arseways for when I tried to connect to anywhere in europe, so I was getting 400 ping when I tried to connect to any european servers but 200 ping for east coast US servers.

This would happen from time to time and last about a day.

I too have below desired quality when connecting to irish players in SSF4 compared to a lot of other EU people. I didn't have this with the PC version of SF4 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭erinsoup

If your xbox is set in the DMZ, port forwarding is unnecessary.

FPS games are usually able to mask lag or latency problems easier than a fighting game would. I also wouldn't recommend trusting SSF4's 3 bars. Its very inconsistant and not very informative.

Like Bush says, you'd be better off doing a line test.

http://speedtest.net/
    http://pingtest.net/

Eircom users have been having problems this past week too which might explain it only happening with some irish players at least.

erinsoup wrote: »
    If your xbox is set in the DMZ, port forwarding is unnecessary.

FPS games are usually able to mask lag or latency problems easier than a fighting game would. I also wouldn't recommend trusting SSF4's 3 bars. Its very inconsistant and not very informative.

Like Bush says, you'd be better off doing a line test.

http://speedtest.net/
    http://pingtest.net/

Eircom users have been having problems this past week too which might explain it only happening with some irish players at least.

Yep, it's in the DMZ and the ports are open. Just read in the xbox forum that this might cause some conflict so I think I'll try just one or the other and see if that works.

I'll do the line tests when I get home and see what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

then the lag is either ISP or game related.

This.

This.

Foamy, did you notice any lag during our games the other night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

FutureGuy wrote: »
    OK I posted a sample of tests from both sites? Surely thats good enough for SSF4?

Here's the result from pingtest...

And from speed test...

Serious tony upgrade your internet, im embarrassed! Jokin :D.

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Serious tony upgrade your internet, im embarrassed! Jokin :D.

Lol. From what I am told, the results are very good for online gaming so I can't understand the issue. The only other option is my router is at fault - belkin n+

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Lol. From what I am told, the results are very good for online gaming so I can't understand the issue. The only other option is my router is at fault - belkin n+

I mean more so with the times ;) but i had a similar problem a awhile back and went thru the same process of ports and even getting onto chorus, it lasted about 2 weeks and then just worked grand.

Sayin that i believe it has to do alot with people connecting together, last night on blaz blue when paul invited me to a room a few times it kept coming up that my connection was lost even before i got in, then i set up a match and everything was ok. Its weird. We basically have 3rd world broadband in ireland anyway.

Advertisement