Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So ... what's on your Christmas list? :)

Options
  • 05-12-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hmm well I've just seen a fabulous performance of Jane Eyre in the Gate theatre, so the book is definately on my list!

I think I'd also like to read

Sister by Rosamund Lupton,
    Room by Emma Donoghue

Well, what's Santa going to bring you? :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I told my sister in law in California to get me something she thinks I should read - any topic or subject, be it self help or her favorite book as a child or whatever :)

Will be interesting to see what she comes back with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I would like a couple of classics to keep me going :D

- Interview with the vampire by Anne Rice
    - A couple of Jodie Picolt books
    - Poetry books

So many :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I have an 83 book wishlist which hopefully will be dipped into by Santa*!

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/wishlist/291007/James

A bit of a mix there, but mostly fiction. I won't describe which books stand out for me, for fear my Boards viewing girlfriend will freak out because she hasn't got them!!

*It has been indirectly emailed to my mother to improve chances of same. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I'm hoping to treat myself sometime in the next couple of weeks with a trip to hodges and fidges in Dublin. Will spend at least 100 euro!

Am tempted to buy the dictionary of Irish biography, though that will set me back big time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

One of my favourite all time books is , ' The go between ' by L.P. Hartley. i'd love a first edition! 'The past is a foreign country they do things differently there'

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

I have an 83 book wishlist which hopefully will be dipped into by Santa*!

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/wishlist/291007/James

A bit of a mix there, but mostly fiction. I won't describe which books stand out for me, for fear my Boards viewing girlfriend will freak out because she hasn't got them!!

Impressive list, Eliot!

I think I already own at least 50% of your fiction wish-list, so I approve.
    Hope you enjoy.

P.s Atlas Shrugged....................are you insane? Don't waste your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

We do a Chris Krindle at home and I've asked my mum for:

Ellmann's biography of Joyce
    Letters of James Joyce (full edition if she can get her hands of them)
    Lucia Joyce: To dance in the wake. (about Joyce's daughter who was schizophrenic)

I wrote my thesis on Joyce and was interested in getting the books I wanted to read in my own time for myself (I loved Joyce's letters to Nora - some of them are sooo romantic, others...not so much :eek:) I hope my mum can find them for me or get my sister to work her amazon wonders! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I love American politics and history so my wish-list is just a long list of American related books!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/1NU2TP8TBXYW9/ref=cm_wl_search_1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

We do a Chris Krindle at home and I've asked my mum for:

Ellmann's biography of Joyce
    Letters of James Joyce (full edition if she can get her hands of them)
    Lucia Joyce: To dance in the wake. (about Joyce's daughter who was schizophrenic)

I wrote my thesis on Joyce and was interested in getting the books I wanted to read in my own time for myself (I loved Joyce's letters to Nora - some of them are sooo romantic, others...not so much :eek:) I hope my mum can find them for me or get my sister to work her amazon wonders! ;)

Good selection, Ellmann's biography is great. I've got that Lucia Joyce biog in my to read pile (along with about another ten Joyce related books), haven't delved into it yet. I did get it cheap in Hodges Figgis (less than a fiver for the hardback), suggest your mam has a look around before buying it.

I've only one novel on my Santa list and that's C by Tom McCarthy. The other books are all about music and sound art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Bill Bryson - At Home: Short History of Private Life

Wait For Me: Memoirs of the Youngest Mitford Sister

Waiting for these to arrive this week - I was too impatient to wait for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

E.T. wrote: »
    Bill Bryson - At Home: Short History of Private Life

I've actually just started reading this! I would have not picked it up myself I'd say, and got it as a gift. Must say it's absolutely fascinating!! Am really really enjoying it! Now that I mention it, I may go to bed early to get some more reading in! Enjoy! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I don't do Christmas book lists. They inevitably get ignored, and instead I get an assortment Danielle Steele, Catherine Cookson, Cecelia Aherne etc. Instead I request book vouchers now. I have yet to get a book voucher, but I still get the odd Danielle Steele. For some "light reading".

I have so many books I have nowhere to put them, they're all hanging around waiting to be read.

I don't think I'll buy any more until I have at least one pile finished. (My room - both in Dublin and at home - is embarrassingly cluttered with lots of books I have intended to read for a long time.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Blush_01 wrote: »
    I don't do Christmas book lists. They inevitably get ignored, and instead I get an assortment Danielle Steele, Catherine Cookson, Cecelia Aherne etc. Instead I request book vouchers now. I have yet to get a book voucher, but I still get the odd Danielle Steele. For some "light reading".

I have so many books I have nowhere to put them, they're all hanging around waiting to be read.

I don't think I'll buy any more until I have at least one pile finished. (My room - both in Dublin and at home - is embarrassingly cluttered with lots of books I have intended to read for a long time.)

I'd stop asking for anything related to books if I kept being given books like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

John wrote: »
    I'd stop asking for anything related to books if I kept being given books like that!

I've tried explaining... it doesn't work. I have no problem with light hearted, easy to read books. I have no problem with "chocolate" books. I just... well, words fail me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

John wrote: »
    Good selection, Ellmann's biography is great. I've got that Lucia Joyce biog in my to read pile (along with about another ten Joyce related books), haven't delved into it yet. I did get it cheap in Hodges Figgis (less than a fiver for the hardback), suggest your mam has a look around before buying it.

I've only one novel on my Santa list and that's C by Tom McCarthy. The other books are all about music and sound art.

Could you PM me the joyce related books? I was trying to find FW in town, but everywhere has sold out of it? :confused: One guy asked: why is such a little girl trying to read such a big book?! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I don't ask for books anymore, cos I always end up with something I've read already. I ask for vouchers instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

So far. Just one, and I technically already have it (I bought it one day in town, and then Mum paid me back the money and hid it, so it will be a little stocking filler :o) Derren Brown's new book.

I'm kind of hoping I will get a voucher or 2, because there are a couple of other books I wouldn't mind getting.

I'd really like to get It by Stephen King, might see if the big brother will get it for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Grievous wrote: »
    P.s Atlas Shrugged....................are you insane? Don't waste your money.

Interesting you should mention Atlas Shrugged, it actually was on the top of my wishlist (being the first added) but I shifted it to the end before posting here to avoid being heckled for my taste! :D It gets a lot of bad press, for sure, but it seems to influence a lot of people so for that it merits reading, in my opinion. I read The Communist Manifesto, too, after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

A collection of essays by john mcgahern. Love of the world and other essays, I think it's called. I'm not a huge fan of his novels but I've read a few of his interviews and I think he's a really interesting person. Possibly the most recent Joe Abercrombie novel, but I hate to read trilogies a book per year, I'd rather wait until all three are out... It could be a while :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Wow, peoples christmas lists seem to be brimming with literary heavyweights, I would be embarrassed to share my wishlist on here after reading Eliot Rosewater's.

I have a few on the way that im looking forward to though:

At swim-two-birds
    The Devil in the White City
    Siddhartha
    The Lost City of Z

As you can see, they are most definitely not Joyce biographies :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Pirates arghh - "On Stranger Tides" by Tim Powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The Name of the Rose - would love to give this another shot.

The Savage Detectives by Roberto Balano - 2666 was one of the most visceral novels I've ever read.

A Jeremy Clarkson book - I find his articles funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I know I have a voucher coming my way, but I've also asked for:

At swim two birds
    Water for Elephants (Can't wait to read this one!)
    The Slap

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

One of my favourite all time books is , ' The go between ' by L.P. Hartley. i'd love a first edition! 'The past is a foreign country they do things differently there'

I agree, superb book.

I have the new Keith Richards autobiography and the Abandoned Mansions of Ireland books on my list.....fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I bought the Necrocomnicoc a while back, so I might give that a read. Recently got given a copy of Signature in the Cell which I'm debating reading. I'm an athiest so I'm not sure whether it'll give me a good laugh or make me incredibly angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

kylith wrote: »
    I bought the Necrocomnicoc a while back, so I might give that a read.

Is that the Lovecraft collection...? I got one of his and keep meaning to read it, definitely over christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Is that the Lovecraft collection...? I got one of his and keep meaning to read it, definitely over christmas.
    It is indeed. I do like a bit of Lovecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have an obsession with Sylvia Plath, so every year, someone buys me a book of her poetry or another copy of The Belljar. I don't mind, I like collecting them. :)

I also have asked for the latest Jodi Picoult book, because it's the only one I don't have and I figured asking for it would save me a few euro, and a couple of 2010 best sellers - whatever my mam picks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I know I'm getting Ryan Tubridy's book on JFK and "One Day".

Am going to wait for the sales to buy a rake of other books. Buy so many in the sales or from the bargain basemant in Hoggis Figgis when I'm in Dublin over Christmas.

Advertisement