Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended reading please!

Options
  • 05-12-2010 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

I'm currently housebound due to a longterm illness and have rekindled my love for reading.
    I have a keen interest in autobiographies and have just finished Michael McIntyre's one.
    I tend to lean towards non- fiction books about people who have experienced some sort of adversities in their lives, (drug abuse, homelessness, disabilities etc.), for example A Piece of Cake, Born on a Blue Day, any Shane Dunphy books.
    I also love Asian history books like Wild Swans, Memoirs of a Geisha, Fallen Leaves, Shogun etc.
    I love Anita Shreve and John Grisham, but haven't read their books in years.
    I hope this gives a feeling of the types of books I have enjoyed in the past and I would really love if someone could recommend some books for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

Have you read a book called 'Shantaram'?

It's to be found in the fiction section, but most of it is true, about a fella who escapes from prison in Austraila, and ends up having all sorts of adventures in the slums of Bombay.

A terrific read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

AntiMatter wrote: »
    Have you read a book called 'Shantaram'?

It's to be found in the fiction section, but most of it is true, about a fella who escapes from prison in Austraila, and ends up having all sorts of adventures in the slums of Bombay.

A terrific read.

Ooooh, brillo, thanks for the response and the recommendation... It sounds right up my street!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Murakami. Start with Norwegian wood before the movie comes out...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I'll suggest a couple of my most recently enjoyed reads for your consideration:

'The Death Instinct by Jed Rubenfeld
    'Forgetting Zoe' by Ray Robinson
    'The Death of a Mafia Don' by Michele Giuttari

All 3 got a 10/10 rating from me ... enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Wow, fantastic recommendations.
    Thanks to everyone for responding. I'm really excited now :)
    Hours and hours of fun!
    I'm gonna see if I can get some from the library,and the rest from Bookmooch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I've read a lot of autobiographies/biographies of Hollywood stars of the past eg Errol Flynn, Clark Gable, Maureen O' Hara, Vivien Leigh etc. Really interesting and show a picture of a time when stars deserved the title.

The Mitford sisters have written many books, and they lived fascinating lives, well worth reading any of their books.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_15?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=mitford+sisters&x=0&y=0&sprefix=mitford+sisters

Advertisement