Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone use CyberDuck to share files?

Options
  • 05-12-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I am trying to use CyberDuck to transfer files from my Mac upstairs to my Windows PC downstairs. I've never used it before. Can anyone help?

I used my IP address for the PC downstairs as the FTP connection but it won't log in. What am I doing wrong?

I know I could set up a shared folder but for some reason the shared Windows folder doesn't always appear in Finder. Strangely, I can always seen the shared OSX folder in Windows.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Does the PC have an FTP server installed and running? Is port 21 open on your firewall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I installed Filezilla. I am not sure if I have it configured correctly. I think the port is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Probably just as easy to use Teamviewer on both machines

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

you really need to have an ftp server running on the machine you wish to ftp in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Simon201 wrote: »
    Probably just as easy to use Teamviewer on both machines

isnt teamviewer remote access moreso that filesharing? get VNC for both machines if thats the case as realvnc is free for pc and chicken of the vnc is free for mac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Yeah I guess it is really but it works rather well for short term and smallish files... but Silvine, having said that, if the two computers are using the same router why cant you use the built in Mac and Windows file sharing features?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

You can do file transfer between windows and mac using the built-in file sharing systems. Might be handier. Here's how you do it, depending on which machine you will be working on.

Using Mac: 1. Share a folder on the PC. 2. On the mac, use "Go -> Connect to Server" in the finder menubar. 3. Type in SMB://1.2.3.4 (Where 1.2.3.4 is the windows machine's IP). The share is now mounted on the mac and you can read/write files to it, permissions permitting :)

Using PC: 1. Enable file sharing on the mac by going to "Sharing" in System Preferences, making sure to enable windows file sharing inside "Options". 2. Connect to your shared folder using Windows Explorer. It might show up in Network, or you might have to connect manually using \\1.2.3.4 in the address bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

You could use Dropbox, then all the files you put on Dropbox could be accessible from anywhere; Mac, PC, iDevice, Android and Blackberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Dropbox is good but not for movies.

I use SMB sharing alright but for some reason my Windows PC doesn't always appear on my network.

Advertisement