Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

Options
  • 05-12-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Just tangential to the Enneagram thread, I thought I'd ask about this one since I've seen them referenced together.
    The little reading I've done on both does seem to highlight that the MBTI is less copper fastened, ie: if you don't feel you're type x, you're probably not etc. So it sidesteps at least some of the problems associated with trying to pidgeonhole people.
    Is the MBTI used at all clinically? I know there's a few chartered professionals on the board so I'd be interested to hear the view from within the industry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Nevore wrote: »
    Just tangential to the Enneagram thread, I thought I'd ask about this one since I've seen them referenced together.
    The little reading I've done on both does seem to highlight that the MBTI is less copper fastened, ie: if you don't feel you're type x, you're probably not etc. So it sidesteps at least some of the problems associated with trying to pidgeonhole people.
    Is the MBTI used at all clinically? I know there's a few chartered professionals on the board so I'd be interested to hear the view from within the industry.

Though I have studied psychology, I'm a psychotherapist. I'm unaware of it and I'm aware of most clinical tools. Have you any links on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Grigzz

Hi op,

Am a psychologist working in adult mental health, it is very unlikely that and service uses the myers Briggs clinically any more, although I do know it is still used in organizational psychology. The main personality type tests that would be used clinically these days are: MMPI, MCMI, NEO-PI and the PAI. There are also other tests normed for use with children. The main use of these tests would be the identification of personality difficulties and to aid in diagnosis of clinical disorders.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Cheers gents. Idle curiosity on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Odysseus wrote: »
    Though I have studied psychology, I'm a psychotherapist. I'm unaware of it and I'm aware of most clinical tools. Have you any links on it?
    The wiki on it runs through the basics. There was a thread going in Expand Your Horizons on it.

Advertisement