Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in Ireland for wildlife watching?

Options
  • 05-12-2010 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Which national parks or areas in Ireland do you consider to have the most varied/abundant wildlife? What have you seen there yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I know for a fact, that most of Ireland's butterflies can be found on The Burren, so it must be a valid contender as butterflies are one of the most important 'indicator species' which mark out a healthy habitat:

http://www.burrenbeo.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Burren is also good for moths, though Killarney has a good list of moths as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Lough Boora Parklands, Co. Offaly (N357) is great for wild flowers, insects, birds & frogs etc, and for just relaxing.

bestselectionautocollag.jpg

ss853222.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

There's not much in Ireland bird or mammal that you wont find in the wicklow hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

There's not much in Ireland bird or mammal that you wont find in the wicklow hills.

Any particular spots in Wicklow that you would recommend? And what might I be likely to see over the course of about say 7 visits? Mammals would be my main interest, birds of prey and other interesting creatures would be an added bonus.

I've viewed wildlife in lots of different countries but helpful information regarding Irish animals' whereabouts seems difficult to find.

• Advertisement

I think the oaklands around Lough Tay and Lugala have everything. Havn't seen the Pine Marten there, but is probably there.

Sorry, what you might see?
    Deer, red squirell,shrew,fox, badger, marten, otter, mink,hare,rabbit.
    Peregrine, merlin, hen harrier, owls, woodcock,pheasant,tree creeper.

Also, if you want to see red squirels, go to lord Masseys just down from Kilkee house on hellfire hill Dublin. A walk in there will reward.

But cant promise the Pine Mater. He's my snow Leopard. Have yet to see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think the oaklands around Lough Tay and Lugala have everything.
    how much of them are accessible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

how much of them are accessible?
    Depends how much money you have...
    http://www.luggala.net/

I've already been kicked out once by the gamekeeper chappie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Sorry, what you might see?
    Deer, red squirell,shrew,fox, badger, marten, otter, mink,hare,rabbit.
    Peregrine, merlin, hen harrier, owls, woodcock,pheasant,tree creeper.

Also, if you want to see red squirels, go to lord Masseys just down from Kilkee house on hellfire hill Dublin. A walk in there will reward.

Nice one. Thanks. I live near some red squirrels so I don't need to go to Wicklow for them. Maybe I'll book into one of those cottages Recedite linked to :)

Have you seen badgers there? Is there any chance of spotting them at dawn or dusk rather than when it's fully dark?

Yep, have seen them. In fact if you head a mile up the road towards sally gap, you will see the diggings from a sett on the left hand side just off the road. You're never sure to see them though.

Advertisement