Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraudulent Laser card use

Options
  • 05-12-2010 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All,

Yes - it has happened to me few days ago.
    I discovered a fraudulent use of my card's number by some fu**er.
    I never lost sight of the card even for while. Use it myself in the shop, check ATMs (use only "known" by office branches or inside shops).

The only exception I did was about month ago when I bought a prepaid card from Payzone and paid online using the Laser card. Two other online uses were: Motortax (I trust them) and eFlow (I trust them as well).

Few days ago somebody bought two fu**king GO-KARDs (???) using my card's number. The description states "POS-ITS A DEAL" which probably points to some pseudo-shop www.itsadeal.ie, which offers SOMETHING for 299 Euro each. I believe this is pseudo-shop and this guy(s) didn't buy/received any go-kart - this is only a way of "legally" transfer money from stolen cards. (See the so called "shop" - there is nothing there, no information, one unspecified THING to buy ...).

My 90% suspicion is somebody in Payzone got the number, and only 10% this happened somewhere else.

Please tell me your thought and (if any similar) experiences.

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Same sort of thing here about 2 weeks ago , never use it online except motortax online and perhaps komplett but not sure about the latter.

Never out of sight. Got hit with air fares and online hotel bookings.

I have heard the cards can be scanned whilst in your wallet in your coat that you are wearing ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,753 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Have you reported this to the law enforcement authorities in whatever country you live in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

In my case I reported it to the bank who made a refund with no explanation. Asked if i needed to report it to the guards, they said no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Every store you use the laser card in keeps a copy of the card number & expiry date for 12 months.

imo online transactions are safer when basic checks on the site take place. Payzone is 100% safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Same sort of thing here about 2 weeks ago , never use it online except motortax online and perhaps komplett but not sure about the latter.

Interesting that you both have Motortax online in common, but if they or PayZone had been hacked, you would see a lot more complaints.
    Never out of sight. Got hit with air fares and online hotel bookings.

Does not matter if the POS machine in the store prints the full card number on the receipt, newer machines do not.

Also some of the scammers are getting cute, like bugging the merchant phone lines and converting the modem sounds back to numbers, few machines encrypt the link to the Bank.
    I have heard the cards can be scanned whilst in your wallet in your coat that you are wearing ...

Not true for Magnetic stripe or Chip cards, but might be possible with the new "contactless cards".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

91011 wrote: »
    Every store you use the laser card in keeps a copy of the card number & expiry date for 12 months.

Not entirely true, retailers don't have records of the full Card number as most digits are removed on end of day print outs and on the actual transaction!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Thats not entirely correct.

In our hotel, we can view your total card number. Expiry date, issue date. That prints out on the merchant copy of the receipt. The Customer receipt blanks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I notice that site is hosted by blacknight.. there is a talk to blacknight section on boards, might be no harm to report the site to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭3DataModem

That is one of the weaknesses of Laser. Visa and MasterCard use a 3 digit CVV/CVV2 code that is Not stored by the shop,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thats not entirely correct.

In our hotel, we can view your total card number. Expiry date, issue date. That prints out on the merchant copy of the receipt. The Customer receipt blanks out.

Not for much longer, MasterCard already mandate that the the card number be masked on the merchant copy as well, Visa are starting to "recommend" it, which usually mean they will mandate it in a year or so.

Advertisement