Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Mouse lagging during high network activity

Options
  • 04-12-2010 10:46pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I only have the Magic Mouse about 2 weeks, but I've noticed it lags pretty bad during high wireless network activity. I'm downloading something right now at about 1.8 megabytes a second and the mouse pointer is jumping around the screen.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any fixes? I've been googling without much luck. I assume it's some sort of interference issue. I tried changing the wireless channel on my AEBS with no improvement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

The magic mouse works via bluetooth so I doubt your getting interference from your wireless activity.

Maybe try turning off any devices around your desk that may interfere with the mouse and re-pair the mouse to see if that helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Wifi and bluetooth both use the 2.4ghz band so I see no reason why they can't interfere with each other. Unfortunately my AEBS is old and only supports 802.11b/g so switching to n isn't an option. I'm going to keep changing channels on my router and see if that makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Found a review on the american store...

Great product (except for 2.4GHz wifi interference)
    Written by AI from Atlanta Dec 5, 2010
    Bluetooth and 802.11b/n wireless use the same radio frequencies, so unfortunately the trackpad becomes very unreliable when you are heavily utilizing a 2.4GHz wifi network.

The problem is slight when receiving large amounts of data (e.g. streamed video) because the interfering transmitter (the Wifi access point) isn't necessarily nearby; but when sending large amounts of data (e.g., wifi Time Capsule backups) the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad both become unusably laggy and jumpy, because the interfering transmitter (your Mac) is right next to it. The effect is the worst in clamshell mode.

I was very disappointed to be forced to run wired ethernet to my desk in order to use my Magic devices with Time Machine over Wifi enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I have found that my magic mouse lags quite a bit. I can't find any thing that triggers it, it just seems to be random. I have my airport set to share my Internet connection from ethernet, but nobody can access thatnetwork except me, and the mouse lags even when nothing is accessing the network. Confusing...

Advertisement