Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone hear the rumours about M&S setting up in the crescent

• 04-12-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭

and debenhams moving out there also

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Toby_2010

Into what space whould they move into though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

*yawn*

Give us today our daily M&S thread.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Can't find the link, but earlier this year they listed all the stores they planned to open in the UK and Ireland for the next 5 years or something, and Limerick wasn't there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tell us Frank, where did you hear the rumours? Because if you're just using this thread to spread silly stories, I will delete it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

Tell us Frank, where did you hear the rumours? Because if you're just using this thread to spread silly stories, I will delete it.

when i was delivering in there the other day

you dont like me do you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nothing personal, Frank :) There's just so many rumours about M&S in Limerick that sorting the truth from the fiction gets tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

Nothing personal, Frank :) There's just so many rumours about M&S in Limerick that sorting the truth from the fiction gets tedious.

:D

naw, as i said was delivering in there the other day and 2 of the sales
    assistants were chatting about the m&s thing, the day after the same 2 were
    talking about debenhams moving out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Two Sales Assistants. Biblical proof they will open of course. :rolleyes:

We won't get our hopes up so. :p

I'll tell you what. I will ask my colleague to ask M&S in their London head office next week if they are in fact going to open. I wont see her till next Friday but heck I'll find out for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Absolute rumour if I know anything about the Crescent. They wanted to move in there and the management tried to get planning and were flatly refused due to the local traffic issues if it did move in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Berty wrote: »

I'll tell you what. I will ask my colleague to ask M&S in their London head office next week if they are in fact going to open. I wont see her till next Friday but heck I'll find out for sure.

I would be pretty sure that you will be told that the Cork opening of late and next year's opening in Kerry are the last two Irish openings for a 24 to 36 month period unless there are major changes in the Irish economy.

M&S put out a press release some time back to that effect and also announced their five year plan for the UK. If I was not feeling so lazy right now I would search online for that press release.

But I would put a lot more stock in you asking someone you know in M&S over anything two sales assistants with nothing to do with M&S in the Crescent SC say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭phill106

*yawn*

Give us today our daily M&S thread.

And forgive us our traffic lights,
    as we delay those who wish to shop.
    Lead us not into limerick city centre
    but deliver us to free parking
    as we shop without fear of the warden

amen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

I believe in Money almighty, Maker of Brown Thomas and M&S;
    And in Punt Its only begotten Son, our Lord;
    Who was conceived by the Wallet, born of the Money Press,
    Suffered under EURO, was crucified, dead and buried.
    I believe in the Money;
    I believe in M&S;
    the communion of shoppers,
    The forgiveness of rip-offs;
    The resurrection of Opera Shopping Center;
    And the shopping everlasting.
    Amen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I'ts sad to see it but the city centre is dying on its feet . Eugene McGovern;s now going. I was in there on Saturday and it was dead. The crescent is flying and continues to grow. They will either have to put a plan in action to encourage people back there or else move everything to the Crescent.
    M and S would love to come to Limerick , however Council refused permission in the Crescent last year. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭phill106

shawnee wrote: »
    I'ts sad to see it but the city centre is dying on its feet . Eugene McGovern;s now going. I was in there on Saturday and it was dead. The crescent is flying and continues to grow. They will either have to put a plan in action to encourage people back there or else move everything to the Crescent.
    M and S would love to come to Limerick , however Council refused permission in the Crescent last year. ;)
    In fairness, they need to have less in the crescent and more in the city, so i understand their reasoning. Crescent would have been better then no store at all though.

phill106 wrote: »
    In fairness, they need to have less in the crescent and more in the city, so i understand their reasoning. Crescent would have been better then no store at all though.

But isn't the crescent County Council soil so I'm sure they wouldn't give a rats about the decline of trading / commercial rates in the city and would happily take an M&S before the city would get it.

I understood the reason was that M&S were told they had to build themselves a multistorey or get stuffed. So they got stuffed and went to Clonmel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭skyline1515

I work in the crescent and have heard nothing about m&s opening, there are no available units left for anything to open at present. The unit where the center piece restaurant was, is been turned into smaller units.

M&S did want to open there a few years ago but the council stopped them due to traffic etc also they wanted to keep trade in the city...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Start by taking out some of the traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

M&S are not opening in the Crescent. They require a certain square footage and the only way of accommodating them was to build a new section to the Crescent. The Crescent have tried on at least two occasions to get planning permission but have failed to convince An Bord Pleanala on the grounds of traffic congestion and opposition from city council. Unless that situation changes there will be no M&S in Limerick any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Was there not speculation at some stage that M&S were coming to Patrick Street, think it was Patrick Street.
    Was in the city center, walking around, yesterday for the first time in ages, at least during the day, and it's looking really bleak. Patrick Street is deserted what ever happened to all the redevelopment plans?? (Yes, I know we are going through worst recession ever, but...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Town is expensive to park in or awkward to park in depending on which way you go. It's bloody freezing walking around, that or its raining or both. The shops in town are gone to the dogs, you could count on one hand how many decent shops that would make you want to go to town.

Crescent Easily accessible from most of Limerick, loads of free parking, in out of the cold, loads of shops to choose from.

There is no competition really. Crescent wins every time. Its sad really cause i used to love going into town. Hate it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Berty wrote: »

Thanks Berty. We'd be lost without you.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Thanks Berty. We'd be lost without you.

That reminded me. I forgot all about it. I feckin' e-mailed her around 30 seconds ago so who knows. She might find out for sure soon enough.

She replied saying its not on her list for new store openings for the next 10 months but she will ask anyway.

Advertisement