Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless warning buzzer/chime when door opens

Options
  • 04-12-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi
    A friend has asked me to enquire if there is an inexpensive system that allows you to set up a wireless warning when a door opens. His mother who lives a couple of doors from him suffers with senile dementia and has started wandering off on her own. He wants to set something up that warns him when her front door opens. Any help would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is there an alarm on the property at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

koolkid wrote: »
    Is there an alarm on the property at the moment?

KoolKid is on the right track.
    #

I would suggest fitting an alarm with a dialler that can dial mobile no.s ( either via telecom line or GSM card).
    I would set up the door contacts as entry exit and should she leave the building without entering the reset code then it would dial you.
    Also you could take the opportunity of installing panic attack buttons for her.
    Get advise from a qualified/ registered installer as different panels have additional options.
    You can have the internal/external bells ringing for different alarm conditions. Having the bells ringing unnecessarily may cause undue anxiety to your mother or nuisance to neighbours.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Also most systems could have a chime feature on the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 watchdog100

Thanks for the replies. I will ask him if there is an alarm on the property and suggest to him that he should contact an installer about having a dialer installed however does anyone know if there is a simple self install and ideally wireless system available that would warn him if the door opens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

Thanks for the replies. I will ask him if there is an alarm on the property and suggest to him that he should contact an installer about having a dialer installed however does anyone know if there is a simple self install and ideally wireless system available that would warn him if the door opens.

I have, in the past, seen shed alarms. But most have been wired type.

There are wireless alarms that use contacts but I do not know what range (distance) they work at.

You can buy wireless alarms from most DIY stores/ suppliers. They can be installed by most competent DIYers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi
    A friend has asked me to enquire if there is an inexpensive system that allows you to set up a wireless warning when a door opens. His mother who lives a couple of doors from him suffers with senile dementia and has started wandering off on her own. He wants to set something up that warns him when her front door opens. Any help would be great.

A wire free panel with contacts on the doors set up at chime would be your best bet. Depending on the distance between the two houses you could install a wire free internal bell in both premises that when the door opens the internal bell will alert you.

Advertisement